Skip to main content

Toll option for new Cape Fear bridge

North Carolina councillors voted to leave option open for proposed structure
By Liam McLoughlin June 6, 2025 Read time: 2 mins
Cape Fear Memorial Bridge in Wilmington, NC (© Rzyotova | Dreamstime.com)

Councillors in North Carolina have left the option open for the proposed replacement Cape Fear Memorial Bridge to be a toll bridge.

Planning and development are underway to replace the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge in Wilmington. The bridge spans the Cape Fear River between Brunswick and New Hanover counties.

Councillors at the Wilmington Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (WMPO) voted to leave the toll option open for the proposed new bridge by eight votes to four, according to local news outlet WECT.

The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDoT) says that the bridge replacement would help improve traffic congestion and mobility on a corridor that connects local communities and carries trucks transporting freight to and from the Port of Wilmington.

The proposed new bridge would cost an estimated US$1bn-plus to build. ITS International's sister title Global Highways previously reported that funding worth US$242m was being provided to NCDoT for the Cape Fear bridge replacement project in a funding package being delivered through the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, but this has come into doubt since the election of the Trump administration. 

The toll option would be one possible way of helping to fill any potential gap in funding.

NCDoT adds that the existing four-lane, steel vertical-lift bridge built in 1969 is becoming functionally obsolete and can no longer effectively service current traffic demands.

"While the existing bridge is safe, it is reaching the end of its lifecycle and must be monitored, inspected and maintained on a more frequent basis," NCDOT states.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Why the US said ‘yes’ to public transportation on 8 November
    March 29, 2017
    Historic funding boost reflects America’s awareness of transit’s contribution to economic growth and quality of life. Something unexpected happened on Election Day 2016, a result nobody expected; public transportation was a clear winner. There were 49 transit-related funding initiatives on ballots across the nation, of which about 70% were passed.
  • Use of ITS technology grows more prevalent in safety applications
    January 30, 2012
    Transportation agencies and governments are using ITS technology to protect critical infrastructure from terrorist attack and other threats to economic security and public safety. Andrew Bardin Williams reports. It is no secret that we live in a potentially dangerous world. Terrorism as seen on 9/11 in the United States, subsequent attacks in London, Moscow and Madrid and other acts of violence across the developing world have made vigilance the watchword for ensuring security. Key infrastructure is now bei
  • Major road projects to improve journeys in Merseyside and Cheshire
    September 1, 2017
    Two major new road schemes worth more than US$388 million (£300 million) are set to cut congestion and improve journey times for hundreds of thousands of drivers in Merseyside and Cheshire, UK. Highways England has set out its preferred options for upgrading the key route to the Port of Liverpool and creating a new junction on the M56 near Runcorn following public consultations earlier this year.
  • EC transit wishlist: face masks, distancing, cleaning, contactless
    June 3, 2020
    European Commission also recommends Covid-19 isolation facilities at transport hubs