Skip to main content

Toll option for new Cape Fear bridge

North Carolina councillors voted to leave option open for proposed structure
By Liam McLoughlin June 6, 2025 Read time: 2 mins
Cape Fear Memorial Bridge in Wilmington, NC (© Rzyotova | Dreamstime.com)

Councillors in North Carolina have left the option open for the proposed replacement Cape Fear Memorial Bridge to be a toll bridge.

Planning and development are underway to replace the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge in Wilmington. The bridge spans the Cape Fear River between Brunswick and New Hanover counties.

Councillors at the Wilmington Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (WMPO) voted to leave the toll option open for the proposed new bridge by eight votes to four, according to local news outlet WECT.

The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDoT) says that the bridge replacement would help improve traffic congestion and mobility on a corridor that connects local communities and carries trucks transporting freight to and from the Port of Wilmington.

The proposed new bridge would cost an estimated US$1bn-plus to build. ITS International's sister title Global Highways previously reported that funding worth US$242m was being provided to NCDoT for the Cape Fear bridge replacement project in a funding package being delivered through the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, but this has come into doubt since the election of the Trump administration. 

The toll option would be one possible way of helping to fill any potential gap in funding.

NCDoT adds that the existing four-lane, steel vertical-lift bridge built in 1969 is becoming functionally obsolete and can no longer effectively service current traffic demands.

"While the existing bridge is safe, it is reaching the end of its lifecycle and must be monitored, inspected and maintained on a more frequent basis," NCDOT states.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • IBTTA’s Jones sees turbulent times and a bright future for tolling
    November 10, 2017
    Colin Sowman talks to IBTTA’s Pat Jones about the future of tolling in a fast-changing world. Pat Jones may have been executive director and CEO of the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association (IBTTA) for 15 years but in his words: “Never before have I seen so much change coming so fast in the transportation and tolling industry.” Amidst all this change, tolling companies are asked to provide funding for roadway building or improvements which will be repaid for over, say, a 30-year concess
  • Caltrans takes the long view of transport
    October 21, 2016
    Caltrans’ Malcolm Dougherty took time out of his schedule at ITS America 2016 in San Jose to talk to ITS International about current and future challenges. As director of California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) since mid-2012, many would say that Malcolm Dougherty has one of the best jobs in transportation. Caltrans is one of the most progressive and innovative transport authorities, implementing policies to encourage cycling, piloting new
  • Fifty-year, $230m toll deal for Kapsch on Louisiana bridge
    August 20, 2024
    Firm will also act as systems integrator for I-10 Calcasieu River Bridge project in US state
  • Connected vehicles - potential to transform US transportation
    April 12, 2013
    There’s a new face in the driving seat at the US Department of Transport’s ITS Joint Program Office. Fortunately, as Robin Meczes finds out, he’s no learner driver… Ask Kenneth Leonard why he wanted his new job as director of the ITS Joint Program Office, and his answer comes back without a second’s delay. “The potential to save lives, reduce injuries and help people enjoy a more efficient transportation system is the kind of challenge that makes me want to come to work each morning,” he says. “In my opinio