Skip to main content

New Jersey announces new initiative to combat distracted driving

Responding to an eight percent spike in New Jersey traffic fatalities in 2016, largely attributable to increasing distracted driving, Attorney General Christopher S. Porrino and the Division of Highway Traffic Safety are announcing a new initiative to provide state residents with a method to report dangerous drivers in order to protect motorists and pedestrians. The state’s #77 alert system, previously used for reporting aggressive driving, will now be used to report all forms of dangerous driving, from
April 7, 2017 Read time: 2 mins
Responding to an eight percent spike in New Jersey traffic fatalities in 2016, largely attributable to increasing distracted driving, Attorney General Christopher S. Porrino and the Division of Highway Traffic Safety are announcing a new initiative to provide state residents with a method to report dangerous drivers in order to protect motorists and pedestrians.

The state’s #77 alert system, previously used for reporting aggressive driving, will now be used to report all forms of dangerous driving, from those operating a vehicle while looking at a cell phone to those driving while impaired. Enforcement measures are being stepped up on the road, and in an initiative believed to be one of the first of its kind in the nation, warning letters will be directed to those spotted driving while distracted on New Jersey roadways.

Traffic fatalities in New Jersey rose from 562 in 2015 to 604 in 2016, an average of 12 deaths a week. Division of Highway Traffic Safety officials have said the increase is in part because of distracted driving, such as cell phone use behind the wheel. In 2015 alone, 3,477 people were killed, and 391,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Teens were the largest age group reported as distracted at the time of fatal crashes.

Related Content

  • In-vehicle warning systems ‘reduce risk of run-off-the-road crashes’
    August 27, 2015
    In-vehicle lane-departure warning systems can help reduce the risk of dangerous run-off-the-road crashes, according to a new study from researchers at the University of Minnesota’s HumanFIRST Laboratory. “Run-off-the-road crashes are a huge concern, especially in rural areas,” says project co-investigator Jennifer Cooper, a HumanFIRST Lab assistant scientist. “Crash statistics tell us they contribute to more than half of all vehicle fatalities nationwide and that these crashes occur most often on two-la
  • Positive results for New South Wales camera enforcement
    July 20, 2016
    The New South Wales government’s 2015 speed camera review shows that speed cameras continue to deliver positive road safety benefits, say the report’s authors. Overall, the trend in road fatalities and annual speed surveys shows that the mobile speed camera program continues to deliver positive road safety benefits, compared with results before the reintroduction of the mobile speed camera program in 2010. The 2014 road toll of 307 fatalities on NSW roads is the lowest annual figure since 1923. This i
  • Monitoring during construction reveals benefits of new expressway
    June 6, 2014
    David Crawford reports on how the authorities in New Zealand are using Bluetooth technology to monitor the effects of a new expressway as it is being constructed. New Zealand Highway Agency (NZHA) is using Bluetooth-based vehicle detection to assess the impact of its biggest road building project as the various sections are completed. The large-scale deployment of a Bluetooth-based vehicle detection system is making substantial contributions to traffic data needs in progressing the new Waikato Expressway, a
  • Australian ITS industry celebrates 2016 awards
    October 14, 2016
    More than 270 intelligent transport systems (ITS) professionals have recognised their peers for their outstanding contributions to the industry and community at the 2016 ITS Australia National Awards. Winners included Ian Oxworth, who received the ITS Australia Max Lay Lifetime Achievement Award. Oxworth is responsible for the implementation and operation of EastLink’s 26 toll points and all other ITS systems. Mapping specialist Here received the Industry Award for its open location platform (OLP) th