Skip to main content

Nearly 10,000 distracted drivers caught twice in last four years

Data received by the BBC following a Freedom of Information request to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) reveals that almost 10,000 drivers have been caught twice for being distracted while driving, including using a mobile phone, in the last four years. The data refers to the number of drivers who have received CU80 endorsements in the past four years, which is how long the DVLA keeps its records. CU80 endorsements, which carry a three point penalty, cover a breach of requirements regarding
November 4, 2016 Read time: 2 mins
Data received by the BBC following a Freedom of Information request to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) reveals that almost 10,000 drivers have been caught twice for being distracted while driving, including using a mobile phone, in the last four years.

The data refers to the number of drivers who have received CU80 endorsements in the past four years, which is how long the DVLA keeps its records. CU80 endorsements, which carry a three point penalty, cover a breach of requirements regarding control of the vehicle, such as using a mobile telephone.

From 2012 to 2015, 228,301 drivers received one CU80 endorsement and 9,722 drivers were endorsed twice. The figures also show that more than 600 people were caught three times and one driver five times.

The findings come as a foreign truck driver, Tomasz Kroker, was jailed for ten years for causing a fatal crash on the A34 in Berkshire while using a mobile phone.

The UK government has promised stricter penalties for distracted driving and September announced it was looking at plans to double the penalty to six points from the current three.

Related Content

  • Uber clean-up - those all-important facts and figures
    September 11, 2020
    Ride-hailing giant says it can switch to all-electric vehicles 'in any major city' by 2030
  • Pedestrian footfall falls for King Charles' coronation
    May 10, 2023
    VivaCity data shows less than half as much movement as for Queen's Jubilee last year
  • Growth of smart parking initiatives
    April 25, 2013
    New initiatives in smart parking have been announced in the US and Europe in recent months. Is the age of smarter parking finally with us? Jon Masters investigates. Smart parking comes to Manchester, reads the headline to a story posted on the UK city’s website towards the end of March this year. Sensors will be fixed to parking spaces to give drivers and authorities information on parking availability via mobile phone apps and other software, the story goes on to explain. Lower down the page, Manchester Ci
  • Driver feedback causes rise in Queensland speed limits
    September 20, 2013
    Following a public review of speed limits on Queensland’s roads, the Queensland police service has revealed a further reduction in speeding tolerances will begin in a bid to reduce the state's road toll. Transport Minister Scott Emerson said the speed review was one of 60 actions announced as part of the Newman Government's $350 million, two-year Road Safety Action Plan and revealed most of the 3,300 submissions to the review wanted increased limits. "About 52 per cent of the submissions identified speed