Skip to main content

Sidewalk Toronto decision delayed to June

Covid crisis pushes back a decision on Toronto waterfront smart city plan
By David Arminas April 27, 2020 Read time: 2 mins
What the Toronto development may look like (© Picture Plane for Heatherwick Studio for Sidewalk Labs)

Waterfront Toronto has announced a further delay to whether the controversial Sidewalk Toronto smart city redevelopment project can go ahead, pushing it back to June.

“In view of the Covid-19 pandemic, today the Waterfront Toronto board of directors passed a motion to extend the date for a decision on moving forward with the Quayside project with Sidewalk Labs to June 25, 2020,” Waterfront Toronto said on a recent Twitter posting.

Waterfront Toronto, formed in 2001 and overseeing the Sidewalk Toronto project, is a partnership between the city of Toronto, province of Ontario and the federal Canadian government.

It is also working with Sidewalk Labs which has developed a masterplan for the work.

The redevelopment, planned since 2017, focuses on commercial and residential development of a nearly five-hectare disused area and former dockland fronting Lake Ontario.

Digital innovations range from sensor-activated heated pavement to prevent ice and snow build-up, pedestrian detectors at crosswalks and the inclusion of infrastructure for autonomous vehicles.

However, the project has drawn criticism civil rights and citizens groups over the involvement of Alphabet, the parent company of Google, in Sidewalk Labs.

Personal data of users of the area will be collected in some form and concern has been expressed about privacy issues.

A Block Sidewalk campaign has been launched by a group of citizens and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association said last year that it is considering some form of legal action against Waterfront Toronto.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Red light cameras ‘reducing intersection deaths’ in Toronto
    September 4, 2017
    The city of Toronto, Canada has seen an average drop of 40 per cent in the number of collisions causing a death or serious injury at intersections equipped with red light cameras, according to the Toronto Star. At some locations, there have been no deaths or serious injuries caused by collisions since the cameras were installed.The city has almost doubled its red light cameras as part of a plan it says is aimed at eliminating traffic death and serious injuries.
  • Diversity dominates ITS recruitment workshop
    October 27, 2016
    ITS offers more interesting and engaging careers than other engineering disciplines because it is less component-based and gives more importance to human factors and the integration of other domains. So says the report from a multinational recruitment stakeholder workshop staged by ITS(UK) at the 2016 ITS in Europe Congress.
  • Safety first in the Big Apple
    August 19, 2022
    For a variety of reasons, seniors are particularly vulnerable to traffic violence – but better road design can help. Adam Hill examines New York City’s new plan to keep older people from becoming collision statistics
  • 3M sees big potential in ITS sector
    December 16, 2013
    Having re-entered the ITS market, 3M is busy shaping the future technology for vehicle detection, tolling and parking, as Colin Sowman discovers. Having sold off its Opticom business in 2007, 3M effectively re-entered the ITS market last year paying $110 million for Federal Signal Technology Group (FSTech) – but why?