Skip to main content

Sidewalk Toronto decision delayed to June

Covid crisis pushes back a decision on Toronto waterfront smart city plan
By David Arminas April 27, 2020 Read time: 2 mins
What the Toronto development may look like (© Picture Plane for Heatherwick Studio for Sidewalk Labs)

Waterfront Toronto has announced a further delay to whether the controversial Sidewalk Toronto smart city redevelopment project can go ahead, pushing it back to June.

“In view of the Covid-19 pandemic, today the Waterfront Toronto board of directors passed a motion to extend the date for a decision on moving forward with the Quayside project with Sidewalk Labs to June 25, 2020,” Waterfront Toronto said on a recent Twitter posting.

Waterfront Toronto, formed in 2001 and overseeing the Sidewalk Toronto project, is a partnership between the city of Toronto, province of Ontario and the federal Canadian government.

It is also working with Sidewalk Labs which has developed a masterplan for the work.

The redevelopment, planned since 2017, focuses on commercial and residential development of a nearly five-hectare disused area and former dockland fronting Lake Ontario.

Digital innovations range from sensor-activated heated pavement to prevent ice and snow build-up, pedestrian detectors at crosswalks and the inclusion of infrastructure for autonomous vehicles.

However, the project has drawn criticism civil rights and citizens groups over the involvement of Alphabet, the parent company of Google, in Sidewalk Labs.

Personal data of users of the area will be collected in some form and concern has been expressed about privacy issues.

A Block Sidewalk campaign has been launched by a group of citizens and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association said last year that it is considering some form of legal action against Waterfront Toronto.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Changing driving conditions need ongoing driver training
    January 23, 2012
    Trevor Ellis, chairman of the ITS UK Enforcement Interest Group, considers the role of ongoing driver training in increasing compliance. It is over 30 years since I passed my driving test. The world was quite a different place then, in that there were only half the vehicles there are now on the UK's roads, mobile phones did not really exist and (in the UK at least) the vast majority of us drove cars which by today's standards exhibited dreadful dynamic stability and were woefully underpowered.
  • IRD: from the ground up
    September 16, 2021
    IRD is undertaking a comprehensive review of its road safety and monitoring solutions. A series of initiatives is building on the company’s in-pavement expertise, bringing considerable additional value for the customer to the traditional range of products while complementing these with wholly new technologies
  • Include ITS in policy decisions from the start, not as an afterthought
    February 1, 2012
    DG TREN's Fotis Karamitsos, on why the European Commission's new ITS Action Plan is looking to the past for future direction. The European Commission's (EC's) new Action Plan for the Deployment of Intelligent Transport Systems in Europe, which was announced as 2008 drew to a close, intends that transport and travel become 'cleaner; more efficient, including energy efficient; and safer and more secure'. At first sight, that wording might be interpreted as marking a significant policy shift within Europe, wit
  • US shutdown: transport bore the brunt
    February 20, 2019
    The longest-ever shutdown in US government history may be over – but it has had an impact on transportation infrastructure, says Mary Scott Nabers of Strategic Partnerships The impact of the longest government shutdown in history has spread far beyond government workers and their families. It is difficult to find any business, school, hospital, city, county, college, university or local government organisation that has not suffered as a result of the shutdown. The negative impact on retail establishments