Skip to main content

USDOT partners with Mobileye in Smart City Challenge

The US Department of Transportation (USDOT) is to partner with Mobileye to equip the Smart City Challenge winner with crash avoidance technology. Announcing the partnership, Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said the winning city's public bus system will receive the installation of Mobileye's Shield+ technology on every bus. This is in addition to U.S. DOT's award of up to US$40 million and an award of up to US$10 million from the Challenge’s launch partner, Vulcan Philanthropy.
January 8, 2016 Read time: 2 mins

The US Department of Transportation (USDOT) is to partner with 4279 Mobileye to equip the Smart City Challenge winner with crash avoidance technology.

Announcing the partnership, Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said the winning city's public bus system will receive the installation of Mobileye's Shield+ technology on every bus.  This is in addition to U.S. DOT's award of up to US$40 million and an award of up to US$10 million from the Challenge’s launch partner, Vulcan Philanthropy.

Mobileye’s Shield+ driver assistance safety technology is designed to enable bus drivers in the selected city to avoid and mitigate imminent collisions and protect road users including cyclists, pedestrians, and motorcyclists. The winning city will need to work with Mobileye to secure this technology contribution. Once installed, the technology is designed to generate continuous, real-time data delivery, which will enable the winning city to make improvements to the safety and efficiency of its public bus system.

The announcement follows last month’s launch of US DOT’s Smart City Challenge, a competition that will support the creation of a fully integrated, first-of-its-kind city that uses data, technology and creativity to shape how people and goods move in the future.  The Challenge is a collaborative partnership that aims to implement bold, data-driven ideas to make transportation safer, easier, and more reliable.

The first round of applications is due by 4 February. USDOT will then announce five finalists in March 2016, who will then compete for up to US$40 million to be awarded to one city in June 2016.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • USDOT offers resources to advance deployment of connected vehicles
    May 27, 2016
    A nationwide network of connected vehicles and infrastructure is nearly here. Connected vehicles will be on our roads before the end of the decade. But there's still work to be done to ensure successful deployment and integration of the technology. In June, the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) is partnering with ITS America to host an Accelerating Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Deployment Day during ITS America 2016 in San Jose. The free daylong workshop will highlight the USDOT's ITS p
  • Funding boost for London’s electric vehicle charging infrastructure
    August 4, 2017
    Transport for London (TfL), London Councils and the Greater London Authority (GLA) have announced funding of almost US$6 million (£4.5 million) to London boroughs to install electric vehicle charging infrastructure on London’s streets. A total of 25 boroughs, each receiving up to US$394,000 (£300,000), will install up to 1,500 standard-speed on-street charging points in residential areas, as part of Mayor of London Sadiq Khan’s long-term vision for zero-carbon transport in the Capital another step closer.
  • Report analyses multiple ITS projects to highlight cost and benefits
    March 16, 2015
    Every year in America cost benefit analysis is carried out on dozens of ITS installations and pilot studies and the findings, along with the lessons learned, are entered into the Department of Transportation’s (USDOT’s) web-based ITS Knowledge Resources database. This database holds more than 1,600 reports and periodically the USDOT reviews the material on file to draw conclusions from this wider body of evidence. It has just published one such review ITS Benefits, Costs, and Lessons Learned: 2014 Update Re
  • New York City wins ITF award
    May 25, 2018
    New York City has won the 2018 Transport Achievement Award of the International Transport Forum (ITF) at the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. The city’s Department of Transportation was recognised for its commitment to Vision Zero – a programme set up to help cut and eliminate traffic deaths. Mayor Bill de Blasio launched the city’s Vision Zero programme in New York in 2014. The initiative is said to have reduced the number of traffic deaths on New York’s streets by 20% and halved