Skip to main content

USDOT partners with Mobileye in Smart City Challenge

The US Department of Transportation (USDOT) is to partner with Mobileye to equip the Smart City Challenge winner with crash avoidance technology. Announcing the partnership, Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said the winning city's public bus system will receive the installation of Mobileye's Shield+ technology on every bus. This is in addition to U.S. DOT's award of up to US$40 million and an award of up to US$10 million from the Challenge’s launch partner, Vulcan Philanthropy.
January 8, 2016 Read time: 2 mins

The US Department of Transportation (USDOT) is to partner with 4279 Mobileye to equip the Smart City Challenge winner with crash avoidance technology.

Announcing the partnership, Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said the winning city's public bus system will receive the installation of Mobileye's Shield+ technology on every bus.  This is in addition to U.S. DOT's award of up to US$40 million and an award of up to US$10 million from the Challenge’s launch partner, Vulcan Philanthropy.

Mobileye’s Shield+ driver assistance safety technology is designed to enable bus drivers in the selected city to avoid and mitigate imminent collisions and protect road users including cyclists, pedestrians, and motorcyclists. The winning city will need to work with Mobileye to secure this technology contribution. Once installed, the technology is designed to generate continuous, real-time data delivery, which will enable the winning city to make improvements to the safety and efficiency of its public bus system.

The announcement follows last month’s launch of US DOT’s Smart City Challenge, a competition that will support the creation of a fully integrated, first-of-its-kind city that uses data, technology and creativity to shape how people and goods move in the future.  The Challenge is a collaborative partnership that aims to implement bold, data-driven ideas to make transportation safer, easier, and more reliable.

The first round of applications is due by 4 February. USDOT will then announce five finalists in March 2016, who will then compete for up to US$40 million to be awarded to one city in June 2016.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • US DOT announces latest projects for Lo-No program
    April 21, 2016
    The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Transit Administration (FTA) has announced the latest project selections for the Low and No-Emission Vehicle Deployment Program, known as Low-No. Seven transit providers in five states will receive a share of US$22.5 million toward transit buses and related facilities that utilise battery-electric, fuel cell and other innovative technologies to reduce harmful greenhouse gas emissions and improve operating efficiency. FTA awarded the FY 2015 funds after a hi
  • Dynamic charging boosts electric vehicles’ potential
    December 16, 2014
    With an increasing need to use electric vehicles in city centres to reduce pollution, David Crawford looks at various solutions to power delivery. The UN’s September 2014 Climate Summit has added fresh momentum to the drive to increase urban electric vehicle (EV) takeup. It has launched the Urban Electric Mobility Initiative, which wants to see EVs accounting for 30% of all urban travel by 2030, and make cities worldwide more friendly to their use. Encouragingly, the plan is being well supported by commerci
  • Managing road hazards is key to £90,000 competition
    March 22, 2024
    England's National Highways has chosen nine companies to receive innovation funding
  • $107m GTT acquisition is latest signal of Miovision's growth
    April 18, 2023
    Miovision also raises $260m to develop platform and 'quickly integrate new acquisitions'