Skip to main content

TransLink announces 90-Day action plan to cure congestion

British Columbia’s Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation and the TransLink Board have joined forces today to send a 90-Day Action Plan for Metro Vancouver Transportation to all parties and all newly elected MLAs in the region.
June 1, 2017 Read time: 2 mins

 British Columbia’s Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation and the TransLink Board have joined forces to send a 90-Day Action Plan for Metro Vancouver Transportation to all parties and all newly elected MLAs in the region.

The 90-Day Action Plan calls on the new provincial government to be ready to make quick decisions over the summer and fall to formally fund the next phase of the 10-Year Vision for Metro Vancouver Transit and Transportation. Fast provincial action is needed to avoid costly project delays, and to put BC first in line for federal transit funding.

The 90-Day Action Plan describes five priority areas requiring government decisions by the autumn, These include an immediate, formal approval of provincial funding for the Pattullo Bridge replacement project, a 40 per cent ‘fair share’ provincial contribution new transit projects, including CA$2.2 billion in matching funding for South of Fraser LRT, the Broadway subway. It also recommends a CA$360 million share to upgrade the existing SkyTrain system and more bus service across the region, legislating a new development levy for transportation and real collaboration with the region’s mayors to identify fair, affordable revenue sources to pay for the remaining share of the 10-Year Vision.

 “This region has waited long enough for provincial action on the 10-Year Vision. Residents and businesses want to see the benefits of better transit and transportation now, and avoid the cost increases that come with more delays or referendums,” said Mayors’ Council Chair, Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson.

Related Content

  • City of London trials 20 mph speed limit
    January 28, 2014
    A three-week consultation has begun on the decision to reduce the speed limit in the City of London to 20 miles per hour. Transport for London has also announced that the reduced speed limit will be trialled on two routes running from north to south through the City. Previously, London Mayor Boris Johnson has argued that reducing the speed limit is unnecessary. If the trials are successful, the City of London Corporation says that the plans will be permanently extended from summer this year. The City
  • Tolling faces up to unprecedented challenge
    October 9, 2020
    The next five years are likely to see a number of changes – but the tolling industry will be equal to them, thinks the IBTTA’s Bill Cramer. The best minds in the business are on the case…
  • PTV’s software solutions help cities combat congestion and pollution
    January 25, 2018
    Smart cities must rely on a mobility mix, real-time predictive models and collaborations, argues PTV’s Miller Crockart. Transport is reaching a new frontier and cities are at the forefront of the trend: for many urbanites, mobility no longer equals a privately-owned vehicle. They want on-demand services that cater for their individual mobility needs efficiently and sustainably - whether that is shared bikes or autonomous electric vehicles. Private car ownership will not drop overnight. The smooth
  • Preparations building for French national truck toll
    September 12, 2012
    The Autostrade led Ecomouv consortium is developing the next big system of truck tolling likely to be introduced in Europe – France’s ‘Eco-tax’. Jon Masters reports. Since October last year, a consortium of companies has been working on developing the technological and administrative systems necessary for a national system of truck tolling in France. Eco-tax, France’s truck toll, is not necessarily going to be implemented. The Ecomouv consortium has been set up as a long term concessionaire, but so far only