Skip to main content

Nice to pull out of French low emission zone pilot

The mayor of Nice, Christian Estrosi, has announced that he no longer wishes to participate in the test of Zapa zones (Zones d'Actions Prioritaires pour l'Air), the goal of which is to reduce polluting gas emissions by 10 per cent by reducing car traffic in certain zones. Along with Paris Saint-Denis, Lyon, Grenoble, Aix-en-Provence, Bordeaux and Clermont-Ferrand, Nice on France’s Mediterranean coast had signed up for a three-year government pilot programme. However, Estrosi now says that the city’s own ove
June 15, 2012 Read time: 1 min
RSSThe mayor of Nice, Christian Estrosi, has announced that he no longer wishes to participate in the test of Zapa zones (Zones d'Actions Prioritaires pour l'Air), the goal of which is to reduce polluting gas emissions by 10 per cent by reducing car traffic in certain zones.

Along with Paris Saint-Denis, Lyon, Grenoble, Aix-en-Provence, Bordeaux and Clermont-Ferrand, Nice on France’s Mediterranean coast had signed up for a three-year government pilot programme. However, Estrosi now says that the city’s own overall programme to reduce pollutant emissions in transport will be more effective than Zapa. He is notably counting on the opening of a second tram line, which should cut 20,000 car trips per day on the Promenade des Anglais and reduce pollution by 20 per cent.

Related Content

  • Demand management schemes, is there a better way?
    January 31, 2012
    The European Commission is placing too much emphasis on the use of demand management, according to the FIA. Here, Wil Botman, Director-General of the FIA's European Bureau, explains why. Towards the end of last year, the European Bureau of the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) released a statement which criticised the European Commission's (EC's) approach to urban traffic congestion following the adoption of the Action Plan on Urban Mobility. In particular, the FIA voiced concerns over what it
  • Gearing up for IntelliDrive cooperative traffic management
    February 1, 2012
    Beginning in the first quarter of 2010 it became evident that the IntelliDrivesm programme direction had been reestablished, by the USDOT's ITS Joint Program Office (JPO), after being adrift for a few years. The programme was now moving toward a deployment future and with a much broader stakeholder involvement than it had exhibited previously. By today not only is it evident that the programme was reestablished with a renewed emphasis on deployment, it is also apparent that it is moving along at a faster pa
  • Asecap Days 2025: seizing the opportunities
    May 28, 2025
    Delegates during day one of the two-day 52nd Asecap Days conference in Madrid were left in no doubt the financial challenges that face motorway concessionaires as the transition to different mobility increases in pace...
  • MaaS will be adopted quicker in Europe than in the US: here’s why
    December 5, 2018
    A new report suggests that MaaS will be implemented more quickly in Europe than in the US – but why should this be? Ben Spencer examines the arguments