Skip to main content

New Jersey announces new initiative to combat distracted driving

Responding to an eight percent spike in New Jersey traffic fatalities in 2016, largely attributable to increasing distracted driving, Attorney General Christopher S. Porrino and the Division of Highway Traffic Safety are announcing a new initiative to provide state residents with a method to report dangerous drivers in order to protect motorists and pedestrians. The state’s #77 alert system, previously used for reporting aggressive driving, will now be used to report all forms of dangerous driving, from
April 7, 2017 Read time: 2 mins
Responding to an eight percent spike in New Jersey traffic fatalities in 2016, largely attributable to increasing distracted driving, Attorney General Christopher S. Porrino and the Division of Highway Traffic Safety are announcing a new initiative to provide state residents with a method to report dangerous drivers in order to protect motorists and pedestrians.

The state’s #77 alert system, previously used for reporting aggressive driving, will now be used to report all forms of dangerous driving, from those operating a vehicle while looking at a cell phone to those driving while impaired. Enforcement measures are being stepped up on the road, and in an initiative believed to be one of the first of its kind in the nation, warning letters will be directed to those spotted driving while distracted on New Jersey roadways.

Traffic fatalities in New Jersey rose from 562 in 2015 to 604 in 2016, an average of 12 deaths a week. Division of Highway Traffic Safety officials have said the increase is in part because of distracted driving, such as cell phone use behind the wheel. In 2015 alone, 3,477 people were killed, and 391,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Teens were the largest age group reported as distracted at the time of fatal crashes.

Related Content

  • IAM dismayed at political parties for not tackling road death initiatives
    April 24, 2015
    The Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) has reacted with dismay at the lack of priority given to cutting deaths on UK roads by the main political parties in their election manifestos. Despite road accidents being the leading cause of death for males and females between five and 19, and the third leading cause of death for both males and females aged 20-34 in England and Wales, no party has published any long or short-term initiatives to tackle such a significant cause of death amongst young people.
  • Dutch government wants to ban mobile phone use in cars
    November 29, 2016
    The Dutch government is looking into measures to cut the number of deaths and injuries caused by drivers being distracted by their phones, transport minister Melanie Schultz told Algemeen Dagblad. This could mean that mobile phone manufacturers could be required to fit devices that stop people using their handsets while driving. Currently motorists only break the law if they pick up the phone while driving, but the government says research shows that even hands-free use significantly increases the ris
  • Fix 66 group advocates for I-66 HOT Lanes
    July 9, 2015
    A new group called Fix 66 has been formed to advocate for a managed lanes and bus rapid transit system in the I-66 corridor, outside of the Capital Beltway, by maximising private sector investment and minimising potential impacts to its communities, businesses and commuters during construction. Anthony Bedell, a lifelong Fairfax County resident, local political leader and former official of the US Department of Labour and US Small Business Administration, says he is starting the Fix 66 group to give a vo
  • Outsourcing security weakness for Sweden’s driver and vehicle data
    October 24, 2017
    The security of driver and vehicle data hit the headlines this summer in Sweden and its authorities are still dealing with the fallout. David Crawford reports. epercussions from Sweden’s vehicle data outsourcing scandal continue to reverberate. Transportstyrelsen, the government’s transport agency, came under fire this summer for risking the personal security of over five million motorists by failing to implement full security checks on personnel in other countries to whom individual work packages could