Skip to main content

MTC awards funding to modernise Bay Area transit systems

San Francisco’s Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) has allocated US$494 million to help more than 20 Bay Area transit agencies replace or rehabilitate aging buses, ferries, rail cars, tracks and bridges; update safety, control and communications systems; install new fare-collection equipment; maintain services for elderly and disabled passengers; and make other capital improvements. The commitment includes US$447 million of federal transportation funds, supplemented by US$47 million of revenues fr
January 28, 2016 Read time: 2 mins

San Francisco’s 343 Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) has allocated US$494 million to help more than 20 Bay Area transit agencies replace or rehabilitate aging buses, ferries, rail cars, tracks and bridges; update safety, control and communications systems; install new fare-collection equipment; maintain services for elderly and disabled passengers; and make other capital improvements. The commitment includes US$447 million of federal transportation funds, supplemented by US$47 million of revenues from the Bay Area's seven state-owned toll bridges.

"Job one for the Commission is what we call 'Fix it First’, which means taking care of the transportation system we already have," explained MTC chair and Santa Clara County supervisor Dave Cortese. "We're also committed to putting federal transportation dollars to work right away. With last month's passage by Congress of the new FAST Act, we finally have some certainty about the level of federal funding coming to the region for the next several years. This allowed us not only to take a big programming action for transit capital priorities in the current fiscal year, but also to begin committing to transit capital investments in upcoming years.”

Among the biggest investments made possible by the new funding are roughly US$50 million for 7357 BART's rail car replacement program; US$17 million to update deteriorating segments of the BART railway; US$97 million to accelerate San Francisco Muni's replacement of dozens of buses and trolley coaches; $36 million for 274 AC Transit to buy 10 new double-deck buses and replace more than 30 of its older 40- and 60-foot buses; and nearly US$17 million to replace two aging San Francisco Bay Ferry vessels. The allocation also reserves about US$52 million for Caltrain's planned replacement of diesel-powered trains with electric vehicles as part of its system electrification and positive train control initiatives.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Success of London’s congestion charge scheme
    February 15, 2013
    Said to be the biggest congestion charge scheme to launch in any city, the London scheme got off to a smooth start ten years ago on 17 February 2003, much to the surprise of London's then mayor Ken Livingstone, who ten years later says “it turned out better than I expected.” None of the anticipated pre-7am congestion as drivers attempted to avoid the charge happened, and by the end of the first day 57,000 drivers had paid it. The main problem seemed to be that buses were all running ahead of time and had t
  • Satellite-based truck tolling provides Slovak solution
    August 12, 2015
    Slovakia opted for a satellite-based tolling system and following last year’s enlargement it now has the European Union’s largest truck user charging system.
  • Virginia expands travel information on I-66
    April 4, 2013
    Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is to expand the traffic information system on Interstate 66 (I-66). Motorists will now see travel times displayed on overhead message signs for the 35 miles from Washington to Haymarket. VDOT has been posting the number of miles and minutes to key destinations at three locations between the Capital Beltway and Gainesville since August 2011. Message signs will display the information at seven new locations. In addition, by summer, six more locations will be ad
  • AECOM sets up Automated Bus Consortium
    June 10, 2019
    AECOM has brought together around a dozen local US transit agencies to form the Automated Bus Consortium to explore driverless bus pilot programmes. Among the authorities are Dallas Area Rapid Transit, Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority. ABC is looking into buying up to 100 full-sized autonomous buses that will run at normal speeds along designated urban routes. Meanwhile, AECOM will provide planning, assessment, implementation and