Skip to main content

Movmi scheme aims to 'open doors' for women 

Shared mobility platform's new competition designed to correct 'inherent bias'
By Adam Hill November 2, 2020 Read time: 2 mins
2021 Empower Women in Shared Mobility Program will promote female-led transport ventures (© Denisismagilov | Dreamstime.com)

Movmi has launched a competition which is designed to bring female-run mobility businesses into the limelight.

The winner of the 2021 Empower Women in Shared Mobility Program will offer a product in mobility or transportation, be less than five years old and majority-owned, -managed and -controlled by women.

Movmi CEO Sandra Phillips says the intention is straightforward: "To promote female-led ventures and open as many doors as possible."

Shared mobility platform Movmi points out that less than 22% of the transportation workforce is female - and that less than 3% of companies in the sector have a woman as CEO.

"This means that our transportation system has an inherent design bias," the firm says in a statement.

"This is why we are looking for female entrepreneurs that tackle tomorrow’s transportation problem."

Empower Women in Shared Mobility (EmpowerWisM) is a collaboration between Movmi, ITS America, ABB, GoWithFlow, the Ray and Intelligent Mobility Experience, plus a panel of female expert judges from around the world.

Three companies will be invited to pitch and the winner will receive a 12-month mentoring package.

This comprises access to the EmpowerWisM network to help grow their business and PR opportunities throughout 2021 to showcase their work.

It is free to apply and the closing date is 15 December.

The winning company will be announced during the award ceremony on 28 January, 2021. 

The scheme is an addition to the Women in Shared Mobility interview series, which Movmi has been hosting for the past five years.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • 7,000 TfL staff furloughed today
    April 27, 2020
    Transport for London (TfL)’s main source of income “has almost disappeared”.
  • ITS America 2016 San Jose opening keynote speaker announced
    April 29, 2016
    Seval Oz, CEO of Continental Intelligent Transportation Systems will give the opening keynote to kick off the new venue for intelligent transportation and integrated mobility – ITS America 2016 San Jose – on Monday 13 June, 1000 PDT at McEnery Convention Center. Three out of every four cars around the world contain Continental’s solutions, products, and systems that make driving safer, more efficient, sustainable, and comfortable.
  • TISPOL says gig economy tears up enforcement rulebook
    March 4, 2019
    The road safety enforcement sector is facing a crisis. Rulebooks around the world are going to have to change as our roads become a high-pressure workplace for millions of gig economy workers. Geoff Hadwick reports from the TISPOL conference Traffic police forces everywhere will need a fresh approach to regulating the way in which our highways are being used, senior enforcement officers were told at the latest TISPOL European Traffic Police Network annual conference. The World Health Organisation puts it
  • Transcore challenges perceptions, targets broader markets
    December 13, 2012
    In August this year, Tracy Marks took over the presidency of TransCore, succeeding John Simler, who has moved on to other roles within parent company Roper Industries. A 19-year veteran of the company, Marks describes himself as having been groomed for the job. Previously responsible for TransCore’s Southern region in the US, he also took on a series of roles, including the top job at United Toll Systems, as part of moves which were carefully choreographed to prepare him for where he is now. The appointmen