Skip to main content

Brazilian bypass tender green-lighted

Brazil's Pernambuco state environmental authorities have approved a preliminary licence for construction of the US$459 million Arco Metropolitano bypass road's São Lourenço da Mata-Cabo de Santo Agostinho stretch. National transport infrastructure department DNIT is preparing final details to tender the project in state capital Recife's metropolitan region. It includes developing a basic plan and executing civil works, said national transport federation CNT in a release The project to build a 45km two
May 1, 2015 Read time: 2 mins
Brazil's Pernambuco state environmental authorities have approved a preliminary licence for construction of the US$459 million Arco Metropolitano bypass road's São Lourenço da Mata-Cabo de Santo Agostinho stretch.

National transport infrastructure department DNIT is preparing final details to tender the project in state capital Recife's metropolitan region. It includes developing a basic plan and executing civil works, said national transport federation CNT in a release

The project to build a 45km two-lane highway, linking the north and south stretches of federal highway BR-101, will start at the BR-408 junction in the city of São Lourenço da Mata and end at BR-101 near the city of Cabo de Santo Agostinho.

The highway will mitigate traffic congestion in urban Recife and facilitate cargo transport to Suape port in Ipojuca city. The Ipojuca-São Lourenço da Mata stretch will be built following completion of the São Lourenço da Mata-Cabo de Santo Agostinho stretch.

Falling under the country's growth acceleration plan, known as PAC, President Dilma Rousseff has confirmed that the project is included in a concessions program the federal government intends to announce in May, local paper Valor Econômico reported.

Related Content

  • Canada looks to HOT lanes to tackle congestion
    March 16, 2017
    David Crawford sees an evidence-based approach to HOT lane conversions. Canada’s first high occupancy toll (HOT) lanes opened on 16 September 2016 as a pilot on a 16.5km section of existing high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes running in both directions along Toronto’s Queen Elizabeth Way. Promised in two recent budgets
  • World Congress rewards outstanding ITS
    September 9, 2014
    Tradition dictates that the ITS World Congress is the setting for a variety of award presentations, and 2014 is no exception. During the glittering 2014 ITS World Congress opening ceremony the first of a series of awards was presented with São Paulo’s Municipal Department of Transport receiving the MobiPrize Enterprising City/State Award.
  • Urban tunnel replaces viaduct, improves safety
    October 10, 2012
    Earthquake sensors, automatic barriers and real time monitoring systems are all part of a scheme to make a major Seattle traffic artery safer, by taking it underground. Huw Williams reports. Seattle’s metropolitan area of 3.5 million people, like much of the western seaboard of the United States, lies in an earthquake zone. In Seattle’s case, the city and its hinterland sit atop a complex network of interrelated active geological faults capable of severe seismic activity and posing complex considerations fo
  • Redflex enforces commitment to ethics
    May 29, 2013
    Redflex has introduced stringent ethical and procedural requirements following an investigation into corruption in Chicago. Like the Phoenix, which also happens to be the name of the company’s home city, Redflex Traffic Systems has been reborn. Following a headline-making public relations debacle late last year, Redflex has reinvented itself, establishing a series of stringent policies and procedures to ensure ethical business conduct, while continuing to deliver the traffic safety technology and services t