Skip to main content

Bolt pledges not to ‘serve up eyeballs for advertisers’

Bolt, the ride-share firm which was previously called Taxify, has insisted that the ITS industry must be careful what it does with the data it collects. Speaking at ITS International’s MaaS Market conference in London last week, Dominick Moxon-Tritsch, Bolt’s director of regulation and public policy, told delegates: “In principle we’ve got no problem with data sharing.” The company already works with public authorities across Europe, he said, but there is an obligation on firms in the mobility sector
March 26, 2019 Read time: 1 min

Bolt, the ride-share firm which was previously called Taxify, has insisted that the ITS industry must be careful what it does with the data it collects.

Speaking at 1846 ITS International’s 8545 MaaS Market conference in London last week, Dominick Moxon-Tritsch, Bolt’s director of regulation and public policy, told delegates: “In principle we’ve got no problem with data sharing.”

The company already works with public authorities across Europe, he said, but there is an obligation on firms in the mobility sector to use data responsibly.

“There’s a reckoning coming: we don’t intend to be monetising our dataset,” he added. “We’re not in the business of serving up eyeballs for advertisers. We’re a transport business.”

2069 Daimler and Chinese ride-share group DiDi have invested in Bolt, which was set up in Estonia in 2013 by entrepreneur Markus Villig.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Councils in North East England receive funding to upgrade traffic management technology.
    October 27, 2017
    The UK Government has announced fund valued £3.64 million ($4.79 million) to upgrade the traffic management technology and improve journey times across the North East Combined Authority area (NECA). It will include upgrades to traffic signals on key regional routes with Automatic Number Plate Recognition Cameras, Variable Message Signs and integration with public transport data from Nexus. The Department of Transport paid £2.8 million ($3.6million) of the fund and the rest came from local authority contribu
  • Driverless shuttle makes progress on achieving third phase of testing in California
    October 16, 2017
    EasyMile’s partners Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA) and GoMentum has received permission from the National Highway Traffic Authority to test EasyMile's EZ10 driverless shuttles on public roads within the Bishop Ranch business park in San Ramon, California. CCTA staff are in active discussions with the California Department of Motor Vehicles who will also need to give their consent for the third phase of the trial to go ahead.
  • Smart ticketing needed in Wales, says report
    March 18, 2016
    A Welsh National Assembly committee study, which looked at bus and community transport across Wales, has found that falling subsidies, falling passenger numbers and reductions in services across Wales are having a severe impact, particularly in rural Wales. Enterprise and Business Committee chairman William Graham AM said that there are also a range of policy issues which undermine the Welsh bus industry. The need for a dedicated Wales-only Traffic Commissioner based in Wales and accountable to the Welsh
  • O2 to offer 5G network for C/AV testing in UK
    April 18, 2019
    Mobile network O2 will provide its 5G network to support connected and autonomous vehicle (C/AV) tests at Millbrook proving ground in the UK county of Bedfordshire. O2 says the low latency and high capacity of 5G allow vehicles to transmit large amounts of data, including 4K video, to intelligent cloud-based transport systems, which are expected to improve road safety and help traffic authorities to monitor and manage traffic flow. From June, O2 will enable 5G connectivity to Millbrook facilities us