Skip to main content

Nothing smart about ‘deadly’ lay-bys on all-lane running motorways, says AA

Eight out of 10 UK drivers think that removal of hard-shoulders on smart motorways has made motorways more dangerous than four years ago, according to an AA-Populus poll of 20,845 drivers. Some drivers even refer to the lay-bys on these motorways as ‘death zones’.
September 27, 2016 Read time: 3 mins

Eight out of 10 UK drivers think that removal of hard-shoulders on smart motorways has made motorways more dangerous than four years ago, according to an AA-Populus poll of 20,845 drivers.

Some drivers even refer to the lay-bys on these motorways as ‘death zones’.

The main concern is the lack of lay-bys when the hard-shoulder is used as a running lane for the 130,000 AA members (and thousands of others) who break down on motorways each year. The 8101 Highways England guidance is for the Emergency Refuge Areas (ERA) to be no more than 2.6km apart (approx. 1.5 miles) whereas the AA would like to see at least twice as many lay-bys and they should be twice the length.

The AA says that if a car breaks down without sight of a lay-by it is likely to stop in a live running lane where it will be at increased risk of being hit from behind. If an HGV is parked in the lay-by it makes it almost impossible for a car to safely enter the lay-by.

Highways England has also reported a problem of drivers (in particular foreign trucks) parking in the ERAs when it is not an emergency.

Commenting, Edmund King OBE, AA president, said: “Four fifths of our members think that motorways without hard shoulders are more dangerous.

“Whilst we support measures to improve motorway capacity, we do not think that safety should be compromised. We do not accept that the current criteria of an Emergency Refuge Area or exit at least every 2.6km is safe.

“If drivers can see the next lay-by, they are much more likely to make it to the relative safety of that area even if their car has a puncture or is overheating. If they can’t see the lay-by, they often panic and stop in a live running lane. If more lay-bys are designed at the planning stage it will be less expensive and safer.

“It is time for the Government to go back to the drawing board and design a scheme acceptable to drivers.”

Amanda Stretton, motoring editor at Confused.com, comments, “There is a real need for British motorway systems to be improve, with new research predicting an increase of 60 per cent in motorway traffic by 2040. However the Government’s intention of turning hundreds of miles of hard shoulder into permanent lanes to expand capacity and tackle congestion issues has understandably split opinion.

"With speculation as to how safe these ‘all running lanes’ really are, there is concern from transport officials and MPs across the UK. In particular, in instances of emergency, run-off areas will be considerably smaller with far fewer emergency refuges.”

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Safelane automates work zone perimeter guarding
    June 12, 2015
    The safety of workers during road closures and working alongside, or above, live lanes is becoming an automated process. Ten workers suffered major injuries while working on or near motorways and major A roads in England in 2013, and between 2009 and 2013 eight had been killed. It was against that background that the first commercial application Safelane, the automated traffic management system designed to detect work zone incursions, was carried out during the temporary closure of a motorway.
  • Speed limits: is 20 really plenty?
    June 16, 2020
    Speed kills – which means cutting speed should cut collisions. But is it that simple?
  • Autumn budget: EV charging infrastructure fund and higher tax rates for diesel vehicles
    November 23, 2017
    Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond has announced a £400m ($532m) charging infrastructure fund for electric vehicles (EVs), an extra £100m ($133m) investment in Plug-In-Car Grant, and a £40m ($53m) in charging R&D in the UK’s Autumn Budget 2017. He added that laws need to be clarified so that motorists who charge their EVs at work will not face a benefit-in-kind charge from next year.
  • WJ Group marks out new territory
    May 27, 2020
    Company gears up to demarcate pop-up cycle and walking routes in England