Skip to main content

Nearly 10,000 distracted drivers caught twice in last four years

Data received by the BBC following a Freedom of Information request to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) reveals that almost 10,000 drivers have been caught twice for being distracted while driving, including using a mobile phone, in the last four years. The data refers to the number of drivers who have received CU80 endorsements in the past four years, which is how long the DVLA keeps its records. CU80 endorsements, which carry a three point penalty, cover a breach of requirements regarding
November 4, 2016 Read time: 2 mins
Data received by the BBC following a Freedom of Information request to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) reveals that almost 10,000 drivers have been caught twice for being distracted while driving, including using a mobile phone, in the last four years.

The data refers to the number of drivers who have received CU80 endorsements in the past four years, which is how long the DVLA keeps its records. CU80 endorsements, which carry a three point penalty, cover a breach of requirements regarding control of the vehicle, such as using a mobile telephone.

From 2012 to 2015, 228,301 drivers received one CU80 endorsement and 9,722 drivers were endorsed twice. The figures also show that more than 600 people were caught three times and one driver five times.

The findings come as a foreign truck driver, Tomasz Kroker, was jailed for ten years for causing a fatal crash on the A34 in Berkshire while using a mobile phone.

The UK government has promised stricter penalties for distracted driving and September announced it was looking at plans to double the penalty to six points from the current three.

Related Content

  • Vision Zero is working says New York mayor, announces more funding
    January 22, 2016
    According to Mayor Bill de Blasio, 2015 was officially the safest year on New York City streets since record-keeping began in 1910, thanks to the city’s Vision Zero program.He said the 231 traffic fatalities in 2015 are 66 lower than the 297 fatalities that occurred in 2013, the year before Vision Zero began. Pedestrian deaths, a historic low of 134 in 2015, fell 27 per cent during that period. The previous lows were 2011 with 249 traffic fatalities and 2014 with 139 pedestrian fatalities.
  • Security loopholes found in BMW’s connected drive
    January 30, 2015
    On 30 January, security loopholes in BMW vehicles equipped with connected drive technologies were revealed. Believed to affect 2.2 million BMW vehicles worldwide, these flaws in the software allow thieves to unlock doors and track car data through a mobile phone without leaving a trace. The Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) has long advocated for secure, open networks for vehicle connectivity. Vehicle manufacturers have argued that only closed networks can be truly secure. In fact, the loop
  • NTSB urges standards for connected vehicles
    July 24, 2013
    In response to fatal school bus accidents at intersections in New Jersey and Florida last year, the US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has recommended that the government should set performance standards for new safety technology that allows cars and trucks to talk to each other and then require the technology be installed in all new vehicles. Vehicles equipped with the technology can continuously communicate over wireless networks, exchanging information on location, direction and speed ten tim
  • Lack of communication jeopardises road weather information
    February 3, 2012
    A lack of communications means that the case for more widespread use of road weather information systems is still not happening, says Vaisala's Jon Tarleton. More effective exchanges up and down the political scale are needed, he adds