Skip to main content

Keolis deploys shared mobility service in Bordeaux

Keolis has launched an on-demand shared mobility service in Bordeaux, France, in a bid to reduce congestion and the impact on the local environment. The Ke’op service operates in a 50km2 area and provides connections to the public transport network of the metropole, including tram lines A and B. Jean-Pierre Farandou, executive chairman of Keolis, says the service should enable the company to meet the needs of transport authorities in areas where density does not justify the installation of major transpor
December 6, 2018 Read time: 2 mins

6546 Keolis has launched an on-demand shared mobility service in Bordeaux, France, in a bid to reduce congestion and the impact on the local environment.

The Ke’op service operates in a 50km2 area and provides connections to the public transport network of the metropole, including tram lines A and B.

Jean-Pierre Farandou, executive chairman of Keolis, says the service should enable the company to meet the needs of transport authorities in areas where density does not justify the installation of major transport network lines.

Israeli-American start-up Via developed the Ke’op app which allows users to book a ride within the zone for €5 from 6am-9pm, Monday to Saturday. The app indicates the most convenient pick-up point and gives a waiting time and the final drop-off point.  

The Ke’op fleet consists of ten class V 1685 Mercedes-Benz Vans which can carry up to eight passengers. Users can book the service in advance or at the last minute.  

Harry Salamon, managing director of Mercedes-Benz Vans, says: "Mercedes-Benz France aims to go further in the future by duplicating the Ke’op service, but with electric shuttles, in other major French cities."

Keolis is not the only company looking to improve congestion in France. Last month, BlaBlaCar announced its %$Linker: 2 External <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?><dictionary /> 0 0 0 link-external plans false http://www.itsinternational.com/categories/utc/news/blablacar-intends-to-expand-mobility-service-beyond-carpooling/ false false%> to acquire Ouibus, a French bus operator, to help optimise vehicle occupancy rates for buses and cars.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Tertu launches new N2W2 guardrail system
    March 22, 2018
    French road guardrail specialist Tertu Equipements is using Intertraffic as the debut show for its new T32 system, the company’s first entry in the N2W2 category. The company has had products in the N2W3 category before. It is now able to reach the required level of performance with a 2m 66cm spacing between posts. Previously, this had a post spacing of 2m. The T32 also uses a 16cm diameter half-log as the facing for the guardrail rather than the 22cm used previously. The combination of these factors
  • NOCoE opens submissions for TSMO Awards
    September 10, 2019
    The US National Operations Center of Excellence (NOCoE) is accepting submissions for the second Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO) Awards. The TSMO awards celebrate transportation management and operations that save lives, time and money. Judges will select a winner and runner-up from the following: •Best TSMO Project (Creative Solution) – A successful project, planning or response to a specific event, or other improvement for safety, congestion and/or travel time reliability. Thes
  • Call for contributions for ITS Europe
    November 21, 2016
    Ertico-ITS Europe has issued a call for contributions for the 12th ITS European Congress, which takes place in Strasbourg, 19-22 June 2017. The main theme of the congress is ‘ITS beyond borders’ and contributions should address the seven main topics, including mobility services, next generation goods delivery, transport networks evaluation, connected and automated transport, satellite technology applied to mobility, ITS and the environment, or the author’s own ideas. More information on the topics is
  • European Start-up Prize for Mobility reveals first 150 projects
    February 11, 2019
    The European Start-up Prize for Mobility has whittled down 568 entrants to 150 projects. These will go on to the next stage of the competition – the second year that the accelerator programme for sustainable mobility options has been run – when their number will be reduced to 50 later this month. The organisers say more established start-ups have entered this time, with 58% in business for more than three years, and an average of 14 employees. “This is partly explained by the maturing and expansion