Skip to main content

IAM RoadSmart criticises UK Highway Code update proposal

UK proposals to alter existing advice in a bid to make vulnerable road users (VRUs) safer have been criticised by safety campaigners. The Department for Transport is considering a change to the Highway Code which would mean motorists should give way at all times to pedestrians and cyclists crossing at side roads. But IAM RoadSmart says this does not go far enough – and insists that longer-term measures to keep drivers and cyclists segregated in a safer cycling environment must be introduced. As things
October 22, 2018 Read time: 2 mins

UK proposals to alter existing advice in a bid to make vulnerable road users (VRUs) safer have been criticised by safety campaigners.

The 1837 Department for Transport is considering a change to the Highway Code which would mean motorists should give way at all times to pedestrians and cyclists crossing at side roads.

But IAM RoadSmart says this does not go far enough – and insists that longer-term measures to keep drivers and cyclists segregated in a safer cycling environment must be introduced.

As things stand, rule 170 of the code says that pedestrians have priority “if they have started to cross”. But it does not say who has right of way if someone is about to step off a pavement at the same time a vehicle arrives at a junction.

“For us it’s all about segregation, and safe streets for cycling and walking if you want to get cycle usage to really take off,” says Rebecca Ashton, head of policy and research at IAM RoadSmart.

“If the government is serious about wanting to increase the uptake of cycling and reduce the numbers of people killed and seriously injured on our roads, there has to be a long-term approach to a comprehensive cycle path network.”

8101 Highways England last week announced a £3 million contract with Sustrans to help deliver a national programme of improvements to the National Cycle Network.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • ‘Motorway drivers putting their own and others’ lives at risk’ - IAM
    May 11, 2015
    The Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) has discovered that more than 40 per cent of all motorway and major A road lane closures in England in 2014 were caused by 185,457 vehicle breakdowns, 40,192 of which were in a ‘live lane’ i.e., a lane with other moving traffic around it vehicle breakdowns. The information came from a Freedom of Information (FOI) request from the IAM, which asked for the number of incidences of lane closures on roads managed by Highways England in 2014. In total there were 44
  • Cycling boost for East of England
    December 11, 2015
    Cyclists in the East of England are set to benefit from new or improved cycle routes alongside some of the region’s major A roads as early as Easter 2016, following the award of a construction contract worth up to US$3.1 million. The contract will see Geoffrey Osborne start in the New Year to build or upgrade 17 cycling paths at sites across the region including the A12, A120, A47, and the A5. The project is part of a US$152 million national strategy to offer greater accessibility to England’s major road
  • Vaisala's RoadAI can optimise maintenance
    August 20, 2019
    Alerts for natural disasters are ones that most of us would rather do without, writes Adam Hill. But the ITS industry still needs help to deal with more common meteorological issues Google Maps has added SOS alerts to its service. For those of us more used to using the phone app to navigate from a metro station to an unfamiliar restaurant, this may seem extreme. But this is not what Google has in mind. Its SOS messages are for “hurricane forecast cones, earthquake shake-maps and flood forecasts”. That
  • FTA disappointed at Dartford free-flow toll delay
    September 22, 2014
    ‘The delay of the introduction of free-flow tolls at Dartford River Crossing disappointing as it may present additional costs to industry’ is the message from the Freight Transport Association (FTA). The Association has voiced its concern in response to the announcement by the Highways Agency (HA) that the planned technology to allow motorists to use the crossing without having to stop at barriers and pay is to be delayed by up to four weeks. Originally planned to be in place by the 28 October 2014, th