Skip to main content

Germany considers privatising motorways

Germany’s Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is studying selling a stake of just under 50 per cent in the country's motorways to allow it to develop the network's infrastructure more efficiently, Der Spiegel magazine said on Saturday. Ownership of the 13,000 km network, the world's second largest behind the United States jointly shared between the federal government and the country's 16 states. The Finance Ministry is considering selling off all but a tiny fraction of the latter share, leaving Berlin w
November 15, 2016 Read time: 2 mins
Germany’s Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is studying selling a stake of just under 50 per cent in the country's motorways to allow it to develop the network's infrastructure more efficiently, Der Spiegel magazine said on Saturday.

Ownership of the 13,000 km network, the world's second largest behind the United States jointly shared between the federal government and the country's 16 states.  The Finance Ministry is considering selling off all but a tiny fraction of the latter share, leaving Berlin with a controlling stake.

It was not clear how much such a sale would raise, but the federal government receives some US$4.3 billion (4 billion Euros) per year for its toll on trucks.

The ministry believes that insurers and other investors in search of investments with solid yields during a prolonged phase of low interest rates would be eager to buy stakes currently held by the 16 federal states in such a motorway privatisation, Der Spiegel said.

By controlling the motorways by itself, Berlin's efficiency to build and repair motorways and other parts of the network such as bridges would be greater.

Members of parliament told Reuters that Schaeuble had presented only rough outlines of his proposal to a budget committee last week, saying that the federal government would keep a majority controlling stake if it were privatised.

The idea of privatising Germany's motorways has been floated periodically, and any sale would almost certainly have to wait until after national elections in September 2017.

Related Content

  • IBTTA’s Jones sees turbulent times and a bright future for tolling
    November 10, 2017
    Colin Sowman talks to IBTTA’s Pat Jones about the future of tolling in a fast-changing world. Pat Jones may have been executive director and CEO of the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association (IBTTA) for 15 years but in his words: “Never before have I seen so much change coming so fast in the transportation and tolling industry.” Amidst all this change, tolling companies are asked to provide funding for roadway building or improvements which will be repaid for over, say, a 30-year concess
  • Continued impact of TEN-T programme
    November 29, 2012
    The Trans-European Transport Network Executive Agency (TEN-T EA) launched for the second year running a campaign aimed at showcasing successfully implemented TEN-T projects. The “ten (more) out of TEN” campaign highlights ten additional TEN-T projects whose successful implementation has yielded regional, national and European added value and which are helping to complete the TEN-T network.
  • Promoting understanding of the need for enforcement
    March 15, 2012
    Changing needs of mature and emerging economies are demanding more rigorous enforcement services. Gatso’s managing director Timo Gatsonides spells out the challenge to Jason Barnes. As geographical markets mature and saturate, it might seem that the only thing for suppliers to do is to look further afield in search of new opportunities. The automated enforcement market in north western Europe could be a case in point, but Gatso’s managing director Timo Gatsonides begs to differ. The sheer number of new syst
  • Australia's ground breaking average speed enforcement
    February 1, 2012
    The speed enforcement system on the Hume Highway in Australia combines both spot and point-to-point solutions. Here, Redflex's Peter Whyte discusses its implementation. The Australian State of Victoria has achieved notable success in reducing casualty rates since launching a three-pronged road accident prevention initiative in the late-1980s.