Skip to main content

Germany considers privatising motorways

Germany’s Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is studying selling a stake of just under 50 per cent in the country's motorways to allow it to develop the network's infrastructure more efficiently, Der Spiegel magazine said on Saturday. Ownership of the 13,000 km network, the world's second largest behind the United States jointly shared between the federal government and the country's 16 states. The Finance Ministry is considering selling off all but a tiny fraction of the latter share, leaving Berlin w
November 15, 2016 Read time: 2 mins
Germany’s Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is studying selling a stake of just under 50 per cent in the country's motorways to allow it to develop the network's infrastructure more efficiently, Der Spiegel magazine said on Saturday.

Ownership of the 13,000 km network, the world's second largest behind the United States jointly shared between the federal government and the country's 16 states.  The Finance Ministry is considering selling off all but a tiny fraction of the latter share, leaving Berlin with a controlling stake.

It was not clear how much such a sale would raise, but the federal government receives some US$4.3 billion (4 billion Euros) per year for its toll on trucks.

The ministry believes that insurers and other investors in search of investments with solid yields during a prolonged phase of low interest rates would be eager to buy stakes currently held by the 16 federal states in such a motorway privatisation, Der Spiegel said.

By controlling the motorways by itself, Berlin's efficiency to build and repair motorways and other parts of the network such as bridges would be greater.

Members of parliament told Reuters that Schaeuble had presented only rough outlines of his proposal to a budget committee last week, saying that the federal government would keep a majority controlling stake if it were privatised.

The idea of privatising Germany's motorways has been floated periodically, and any sale would almost certainly have to wait until after national elections in September 2017.

Related Content

  • Progressing work zone safety systems
    February 6, 2012
    David Crawford investigates progress in a key safety area - work zones
  • Aberdeen and Zagreb win EU sustainable mobility awards
    March 12, 2013
    The European Commission has announced the winners of the 2012 Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans (SUMP) Award and the European Mobility Week (EMW) Award. Aberdeen and Zagreb were presented with their awards by European Commissioners Siim Kallas and Janez Potočnik at a joint award ceremony in Brussels, Belgium on 6 March. Aberdeen took the top honour in the Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans Award ahead of two other finalists, Ljutomer, Slovenia and Toulouse, France. Aberdeen is a city of around 220,000 inhabita
  • SGN targets financial savings by transforming driver behaviour
    August 27, 2015
    UK gas distribution company SGN is expecting to save in the region of US$1.5 million by implementing a driver performance improvement programme across its 2,000-strong fleet. The company, which operates across the south of England and the whole of Scotland, , is using TomTom Telematics technology, including driver behaviour improvement system OptiDrive 360, to tackle inefficient practice.
  • EU releases funds for key TEN-T projects
    November 30, 2012
    The European Commission has launched two Calls for Proposals under the 2012 Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T) multi-annual and annual programmes, making over US1.5 billion available to finance European transport infrastructure projects in all transport modes – air, rail, road, and maritime/inland waterways – plus logistics and intelligent transport systems, in all EU Member States. Commission Vice President Siim Kallas, responsible for transport, said: "In making this considerable amount of funding a