Skip to main content

Germany considers privatising motorways

Germany’s Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is studying selling a stake of just under 50 per cent in the country's motorways to allow it to develop the network's infrastructure more efficiently, Der Spiegel magazine said on Saturday. Ownership of the 13,000 km network, the world's second largest behind the United States jointly shared between the federal government and the country's 16 states. The Finance Ministry is considering selling off all but a tiny fraction of the latter share, leaving Berlin w
November 15, 2016 Read time: 2 mins
Germany’s Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is studying selling a stake of just under 50 per cent in the country's motorways to allow it to develop the network's infrastructure more efficiently, Der Spiegel magazine said on Saturday.

Ownership of the 13,000 km network, the world's second largest behind the United States jointly shared between the federal government and the country's 16 states.  The Finance Ministry is considering selling off all but a tiny fraction of the latter share, leaving Berlin with a controlling stake.

It was not clear how much such a sale would raise, but the federal government receives some US$4.3 billion (4 billion Euros) per year for its toll on trucks.

The ministry believes that insurers and other investors in search of investments with solid yields during a prolonged phase of low interest rates would be eager to buy stakes currently held by the 16 federal states in such a motorway privatisation, Der Spiegel said.

By controlling the motorways by itself, Berlin's efficiency to build and repair motorways and other parts of the network such as bridges would be greater.

Members of parliament told Reuters that Schaeuble had presented only rough outlines of his proposal to a budget committee last week, saying that the federal government would keep a majority controlling stake if it were privatised.

The idea of privatising Germany's motorways has been floated periodically, and any sale would almost certainly have to wait until after national elections in September 2017.

Related Content

  • Continental: Covid may spark China EV surge
    February 9, 2021
    86% of Chinese respondents to German manufacturer's survey are open to buying EVs
  • FIA reveals what vehicle-driver data is being tracked
    November 27, 2015
    FIA Region I has revealed exactly what data new vehicles are able to track and transmit. Technical tests carried out by the German Automobile Association (ADAC) on behalf of FIA Region I on two vehicles, a conventionally-fuelled vehicle and an electric vehicle, found that, in addition to the creation of driver profiles, vehicle location, trip length, personal information synced from mobile phones are tracked and can be transmitted back to the manufacturer. A public survey of 12,000 people in 12 Euro
  • Will interoperability prevent progress?
    January 10, 2014
    David Crawford examines the political and industrial background to the tolling technology debate. Saving the US State of California ‘millions of dollars’ in tolling infrastructure costs by encouraging new technologies is the professed aim of a legislative Bill, SB 242, which is currently moving through the State’s Senate (upper house) process. According to its sponsor, Republican State Senator Mark Wyland, permitting alternatives to the current FasTrak-branded radio-frequency identification (RFID)-based sys
  • IBTTA elects new president
    September 19, 2016
    More than 700 global transportation leaders from 22 countries gathered for the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association's (IBTTA) 84th Annual Meeting and Exhibition in Denver, Colorado, last week. During the meeting, Emanuela Stocchi, director of International Affairs, Associazione Italiana Società Concessionarie Autostrade e Trafori (AISCAT), Rome, Italy, was elected by the IBTTA membership to serve as 2017 president of the Association. Stocchi’s term begins on 1 January 2017. Stocchi has s