Skip to main content

Germany considers privatising motorways

Germany’s Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is studying selling a stake of just under 50 per cent in the country's motorways to allow it to develop the network's infrastructure more efficiently, Der Spiegel magazine said on Saturday. Ownership of the 13,000 km network, the world's second largest behind the United States jointly shared between the federal government and the country's 16 states. The Finance Ministry is considering selling off all but a tiny fraction of the latter share, leaving Berlin w
November 15, 2016 Read time: 2 mins
Germany’s Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is studying selling a stake of just under 50 per cent in the country's motorways to allow it to develop the network's infrastructure more efficiently, Der Spiegel magazine said on Saturday.

Ownership of the 13,000 km network, the world's second largest behind the United States jointly shared between the federal government and the country's 16 states.  The Finance Ministry is considering selling off all but a tiny fraction of the latter share, leaving Berlin with a controlling stake.

It was not clear how much such a sale would raise, but the federal government receives some US$4.3 billion (4 billion Euros) per year for its toll on trucks.

The ministry believes that insurers and other investors in search of investments with solid yields during a prolonged phase of low interest rates would be eager to buy stakes currently held by the 16 federal states in such a motorway privatisation, Der Spiegel said.

By controlling the motorways by itself, Berlin's efficiency to build and repair motorways and other parts of the network such as bridges would be greater.

Members of parliament told Reuters that Schaeuble had presented only rough outlines of his proposal to a budget committee last week, saying that the federal government would keep a majority controlling stake if it were privatised.

The idea of privatising Germany's motorways has been floated periodically, and any sale would almost certainly have to wait until after national elections in September 2017.

Related Content

  • Egis awarded second Turkish motorway contract
    June 25, 2013
    French engineering and consulting group Egis has been selected by Turkish toll concessionaire Oyotol as its partner for the operation and maintenance of the Gebze-İzmir motorway in Turkey. The deal follows the award of the Eurasia tunnel in 2012. The Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) project is being carried out on behalf of the Turkish General Directorate of Highways and is said to be the largest BOT project in Turkey to date. It includes 420 km of motorway (2x3 lanes) between Gebze on the North shore of
  • Road pricing is inevitable – because the ‘user pays’ principle is fair
    June 14, 2018
    We pay for roads through our taxes: the poor pay proportionately more, and effectively subsidise the rich. It would be fairer to accept the ‘user pays’ principle, says Dr John Walker. Road pricing is already used worldwide to combat congestion and pollution, to compensate for falling revenues from fuel duty (‘gas tax’), to provide an alternative (and fairer) means of charging motorists than the 80-year old fuel tax and to improve the efficiency of and expand transport infrastructure. However, it could and s
  • Dynamic charging boosts electric vehicles’ potential
    December 16, 2014
    With an increasing need to use electric vehicles in city centres to reduce pollution, David Crawford looks at various solutions to power delivery. The UN’s September 2014 Climate Summit has added fresh momentum to the drive to increase urban electric vehicle (EV) takeup. It has launched the Urban Electric Mobility Initiative, which wants to see EVs accounting for 30% of all urban travel by 2030, and make cities worldwide more friendly to their use. Encouragingly, the plan is being well supported by commerci
  • Trafficware: Digitised transport tech ‘is the new asphalt’
    April 16, 2019

    Trafficware provides the tech to manage intersections all over the world. Colin Sowman asks CEO Jon Newhard about the ‘questions behind the questions’

    Last year, Trafficware CEO Jon Newhard negotiated the company’s acquisition by Cubic Corporation and now serves as general manager of Trafficware within Cubic’s Transportation Systems business unit.