Skip to main content

Germany considers privatising motorways

Germany’s Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is studying selling a stake of just under 50 per cent in the country's motorways to allow it to develop the network's infrastructure more efficiently, Der Spiegel magazine said on Saturday. Ownership of the 13,000 km network, the world's second largest behind the United States jointly shared between the federal government and the country's 16 states. The Finance Ministry is considering selling off all but a tiny fraction of the latter share, leaving Berlin w
November 15, 2016 Read time: 2 mins
Germany’s Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is studying selling a stake of just under 50 per cent in the country's motorways to allow it to develop the network's infrastructure more efficiently, Der Spiegel magazine said on Saturday.

Ownership of the 13,000 km network, the world's second largest behind the United States jointly shared between the federal government and the country's 16 states.  The Finance Ministry is considering selling off all but a tiny fraction of the latter share, leaving Berlin with a controlling stake.

It was not clear how much such a sale would raise, but the federal government receives some US$4.3 billion (4 billion Euros) per year for its toll on trucks.

The ministry believes that insurers and other investors in search of investments with solid yields during a prolonged phase of low interest rates would be eager to buy stakes currently held by the 16 federal states in such a motorway privatisation, Der Spiegel said.

By controlling the motorways by itself, Berlin's efficiency to build and repair motorways and other parts of the network such as bridges would be greater.

Members of parliament told Reuters that Schaeuble had presented only rough outlines of his proposal to a budget committee last week, saying that the federal government would keep a majority controlling stake if it were privatised.

The idea of privatising Germany's motorways has been floated periodically, and any sale would almost certainly have to wait until after national elections in September 2017.

Related Content

  • UK government plans to cut motorway red tape
    February 13, 2013
    The UK government has launched a six-week consultation in an effort to help reduce barriers around unnecessary regulations on England’s motorways and major A roads. It is hoped that the new Highways Agency (HA) developments will remove bureaucracy while putting more power in the hands of local communities and their representatives. The planned changes place greater emphasis on its role to promote economic growth and enable development. Key changes proposed include: easing restrictions for developers on new
  • IBTTA hails Rhode Island truck toll ruling
    December 11, 2024
    US federal appeals court allows tolls to continue after legal challenge
  • RAC Foundation: National charge point network needed for electric vehicles
    October 4, 2017
    Potential purchases of electric vehicles with have limited widespread impact without a national charge point network, particularly on motorways and major A-Roads, according to a report by the RAC Foundation. Report author Harold Dermot outlines several challenges that need addressing.Currently, 80% of EV owners have access to home charging, but 93% use the public charging network.
  • Google’s self-driving cars can ‘exceed the speed limit to aid safety’
    August 20, 2014
    According to Google's lead software engineer, Dmitri Dolgov, the company’s self-driving cars are programmed to stay within the speed limit, mostly. Research shows that sticking to the speed limit when other cars are going much faster actually can be dangerous, Dolgov says, so its autonomous car can go up to 10 mph (16 kph) above the speed limit when traffic conditions warrant. Dolgov told Reuters during a test drive that when surrounding vehicles were breaking the speed limit, going more slowly could act