Skip to main content

Germany considers privatising motorways

Germany’s Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is studying selling a stake of just under 50 per cent in the country's motorways to allow it to develop the network's infrastructure more efficiently, Der Spiegel magazine said on Saturday. Ownership of the 13,000 km network, the world's second largest behind the United States jointly shared between the federal government and the country's 16 states. The Finance Ministry is considering selling off all but a tiny fraction of the latter share, leaving Berlin w
November 15, 2016 Read time: 2 mins
Germany’s Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is studying selling a stake of just under 50 per cent in the country's motorways to allow it to develop the network's infrastructure more efficiently, Der Spiegel magazine said on Saturday.

Ownership of the 13,000 km network, the world's second largest behind the United States jointly shared between the federal government and the country's 16 states.  The Finance Ministry is considering selling off all but a tiny fraction of the latter share, leaving Berlin with a controlling stake.

It was not clear how much such a sale would raise, but the federal government receives some US$4.3 billion (4 billion Euros) per year for its toll on trucks.

The ministry believes that insurers and other investors in search of investments with solid yields during a prolonged phase of low interest rates would be eager to buy stakes currently held by the 16 federal states in such a motorway privatisation, Der Spiegel said.

By controlling the motorways by itself, Berlin's efficiency to build and repair motorways and other parts of the network such as bridges would be greater.

Members of parliament told Reuters that Schaeuble had presented only rough outlines of his proposal to a budget committee last week, saying that the federal government would keep a majority controlling stake if it were privatised.

The idea of privatising Germany's motorways has been floated periodically, and any sale would almost certainly have to wait until after national elections in September 2017.

Related Content

  • Berg Insight: 3G/4G technologies will dominate cellular M2M communications
    August 26, 2014
    According to a new research report from analyst firm Berg Insight, the global cellular machine to machine (M2M) market has entered a period of transition from 2G to 3G/4G technologies. The share of cellular M2M devices connected to HSPA/LTE networks is projected to more than double from less than 20 percent at the end of 2014 to more than 50 per cent by 2018. When it comes to device shipments, 3G/4G is expected to overtake 2G already in 2017. HSPA will be the largest technology in an intermittent period unt
  • ECG announces election of new board and President
    May 27, 2016
    Wolfgang Göbel, chief sales officer, Horst Mosolf, has been elected president of the Association of European Vehicle Logistics (ECG) in an election held during the annual general assembly. He brings more than 36 years of relevant industry experience to his new role and has served as ECG vice-president for the last seven years. Mats Eriksson, CEO, AB SkandiaTransport, another long-term board member, who previously served as Treasurer, assumes the role of vice-president. A record attendance of some 1
  • Aimsun assesses Spain V2X impact
    June 21, 2022
    An Aimsun project with C-Roads Spain to assess the impact of Day 1 V2X services has been completed: Aimsun senior transportation modeller Laura Torres explains some of the results
  • The UK’s busiest crossing adopts free flow charging
    April 30, 2015
    Colin Sowman looks at the transition to free-flow charging on the Dartford Crossing, a notorious congestion blackspot on the UK motorway network. The Dartford Crossing, where London’s orbital M25 motorway crosses the lower reaches of the River Thames 32km (20 miles) to the east of Central London, has long been a major source of congestion. Now, to alleviate the congestion caused by some 50 million crossings per year, the Highways Agency has adopted a free-flow charging system - but the Crossing’s location a