Skip to main content

Germany considers privatising motorways

Germany’s Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is studying selling a stake of just under 50 per cent in the country's motorways to allow it to develop the network's infrastructure more efficiently, Der Spiegel magazine said on Saturday. Ownership of the 13,000 km network, the world's second largest behind the United States jointly shared between the federal government and the country's 16 states. The Finance Ministry is considering selling off all but a tiny fraction of the latter share, leaving Berlin w
November 15, 2016 Read time: 2 mins
Germany’s Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is studying selling a stake of just under 50 per cent in the country's motorways to allow it to develop the network's infrastructure more efficiently, Der Spiegel magazine said on Saturday.

Ownership of the 13,000 km network, the world's second largest behind the United States jointly shared between the federal government and the country's 16 states.  The Finance Ministry is considering selling off all but a tiny fraction of the latter share, leaving Berlin with a controlling stake.

It was not clear how much such a sale would raise, but the federal government receives some US$4.3 billion (4 billion Euros) per year for its toll on trucks.

The ministry believes that insurers and other investors in search of investments with solid yields during a prolonged phase of low interest rates would be eager to buy stakes currently held by the 16 federal states in such a motorway privatisation, Der Spiegel said.

By controlling the motorways by itself, Berlin's efficiency to build and repair motorways and other parts of the network such as bridges would be greater.

Members of parliament told Reuters that Schaeuble had presented only rough outlines of his proposal to a budget committee last week, saying that the federal government would keep a majority controlling stake if it were privatised.

The idea of privatising Germany's motorways has been floated periodically, and any sale would almost certainly have to wait until after national elections in September 2017.

Related Content

  • Nearly 59,000 US bridges still structurally deficient, new analysis finds
    February 19, 2016
    According to the US Department of Transportation's recently-released 2015 National Bridge Inventory database, there were 2,574 fewer structurally deficient bridges in 2015 compared to the number in 2014. However, there are still 58,500 on the structurally deficient list and at the current pace of bridge investment it would take at least 21 years before they were all replaced or upgraded. The American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA), which conducts an annual review of state bridge da
  • Section speed enforcements gains global converts
    October 26, 2017
    As the benefits of section speed enforcement are becoming clearer, the technology is gaining converts worldwide. Colin Sowman reports. America’s National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is calling for urgent action from both road authorities and the federal government to combat speeding which has been identified as one of the most common factors in motor vehicle crashes in the United States. This new call follows the publication of a safety study which found that between 2005 through 2014, 31% of all
  • Supply chain issues: AGD looks ahead
    June 2, 2022
    There are multiple causes for current global supply chain issues – and this isn’t likely to improve in the near future. Ian Hind of ITS manufacturer AGD Systems spells out how to mitigate the impact
  • US shutdown: transport bore the brunt
    February 20, 2019
    The longest-ever shutdown in US government history may be over – but it has had an impact on transportation infrastructure, says Mary Scott Nabers of Strategic Partnerships The impact of the longest government shutdown in history has spread far beyond government workers and their families. It is difficult to find any business, school, hospital, city, county, college, university or local government organisation that has not suffered as a result of the shutdown. The negative impact on retail establishments