Skip to main content

EIB backing for London transport

The European Investment Bank (EIB) has agreed to provide US$1.5 billion for investment in the London transport network. The 35 year loan from Europe’s long-term lending institution will support major projects, including significant upgrades by Transport for London (TfL) at Victoria and Bank Tube stations, which will transform passenger access at two of the busiest stations in the capital. The new support was announced by Jonathan Taylor, vice president of the European Investment Bank and Steve Allen, ma
September 15, 2015 Read time: 3 mins
The European Investment Bank (EIB) has agreed to provide US$1.5 billion for investment in the London transport network. The 35 year loan from Europe’s long-term lending institution will support major projects, including significant upgrades by 1466 Transport for London (TfL) at Victoria and Bank Tube stations, which will transform passenger access at two of the busiest stations in the capital.
 
The new support was announced by Jonathan Taylor, vice president of the European Investment Bank and Steve Allen, managing director, Finance TfL ahead of a visit to Victoria Tube station to witness the breakthrough of a new interchange tunnel between two new ticket halls being built at the station.
 
Commuters and visitors to the capital will benefit from step-free access between underground trains and street level at both Victoria and Bank Tube stations once work backed by the new EIB loan is completed. As well as transforming Victoria Tube station, the EIB loan will enable quicker and easier access for passengers changing between Bank and Monument stations, the fourth busiest interchange on the London Underground network. The loan will also be used to renew tracks, points and drainage on more than 102 km of the London underground network, including over 18km of tunnels.

Financial secretary to the Treasury, David Gauke said: “This announcement shows our plan to secure a good deal for the UK from the EU’s European Investment Bank is working. By providing US$1.5 billion worth of investment, vital upgrades can now be made at two of the capital’s busiest stations, making journeys easier for millions of working people. This is part of record lending by the EIB to the UK which totalled US$9.2 billion last year.”
 
Allen said: “More than 80 million customers already pass through Victoria Tube station each year and, once complete, this vital modernisation work will help us to keep pace with London’s rapidly growing population. The loan from the EIB is essential in enabling us to make the continued improvements to the transport network that support new jobs, homes and economic growth in London and beyond.”
 
“The European Investment Bank is committed to supporting investment to improve sustainable urban transport across Europe and around the world. Continued investment in London’s transport network is essential in addressing the changing and increasing transport needs in Europe’s largest and fastest growing city.” said Taylor.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Most EV charging ‘takes place at home’
    July 30, 2015
    New analysis by plug-in vehicle campaign Go Ultra Low suggests that British motorists could no longer have to rely on the conventional petrol station. More than 90 per cent of electric vehicle (EV) charging takes place at home while total charging volumes have almost tripled since 2014, according to new usage data from leading infrastructure provider Chargemaster. Coupled with bumper uptake of plug-in vehicles – more than 14,500 were registered in the first half of 2015 – the new findings point to the po
  • US budget proposals seek recognise ITS benefits
    April 30, 2015
    President Obama’s latest budget brings some good news for the transportation and ITS sectors. President Obama’s proposed 2016 budget could see more progress on many of America’s ingrained transportation problems than has been achieved in some time and includes a six-year $478 billion surface transportation reauthorisation. That is, of course, provided it clears all of the administrative hurdles to become law.
  • Cut vehicle access to clean up cities: report
    October 17, 2022
    Communication of benefits is key for acceptance of LEZ deployment, says EIT Urban Mobility
  • Substantial demand ‘underscores need for TIGER grants’
    August 3, 2015
    US Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx has announced that applications to the US Department of Transportation (DOT) for its seventh round of Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grants totalled US$9.8 billion, almost 20 times the US$500 million set aside for the program, demonstrating the continued need for transportation investment nationwide. Among the 625 applications for grants received this year, 60 per cent are road projects, 18 per cent are transit projects, and eight p