Skip to main content

DfT launches fund for councils to improve road travel using new technology

A US$2.5 million (£2 million) fund to allow councils to capitalise on emerging technologies and deliver better journeys for motorists has been launched by the UK Department for Transport (DfT). Local authorities have been to apply for a share of the money to develop projects to greatly enhance journeys. Proposals include using technology that will allow vehicles communicate with each other and roadside sensors to provide drivers with real-time traffic information. Councils will also look at how warnin
August 12, 2016 Read time: 2 mins
A US$2.5 million (£2 million) fund to allow councils to capitalise on emerging technologies and deliver better journeys for motorists has been launched by the UK 1837 Department for Transport (DfT).

Local authorities have been to apply for a share of the money to develop projects to greatly enhance journeys. Proposals include using technology that will allow vehicles communicate with each other and roadside sensors to provide drivers with real-time traffic information.

Councils will also look at how warnings about changing weather and traffic conditions can be sent directly to vehicles, so drivers can plan ahead - helping deliver quicker, more efficient and safer journeys.

Councils across England will have until the end of September to apply for the funding. Bids are expected to range between US$39,000 (£30,000) and US$389,000 (£300,000) and councils are expected to provide at least five per cent of their project’s cost.

They have until 5pm on Friday 30 September 2016 to submit their bids and successful councils will be revealed in November. Schemes would be expected to complete by March 2018.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • ‘One in four drivers still using handheld phones while driving’
    September 21, 2017
    New research by UK motoring association the RAC reveals that nearly one in four drivers still makes or receives calls while driving, despite the doubling of penalties for the offence in March 2017, to six points and a £200 fine. In September 2016 the RAC revealed that the illegal use of handheld mobile phones at the wheel had reached epidemic proportions. Days later the Government announced the penalty for the offence would increase to six points and a £200 fine in a bid to stamp out the dangerous habit.
  • Better enforcement needed to combat drivers using mobile phones says FTA
    February 8, 2016
    Responding to proposed changes to penalties on drivers using a hand-held mobile phone, the Freight Transport Association (FTA) has said that better enforcement is needed before penalties are increased. After consulting with members at its Road Freight Council Meeting in London yesterday, the FTA stated that the use of modern technology and cameras should be able to enable authorities to improve enforcement and provide evidence against those breaking the law. The recently launched consultation proc
  • California e-dreaming with ABB
    March 27, 2020
    Data can unlock the costs and benefits of converting commercial fleets to electric vehicles.
  • Panasonic in Colorado: Rocky mountain way
    December 3, 2018
    Panasonic is at the heart of a C-V2X project which began last year in Colorado. The company’s smart mobility boss Chris Armstrong tells Adam Hill how it is working out Colorado needs traffic and transport solutions – and fast. The US state’s population has grown 50% in the last 20 years and another 50% hike is predicted in the next 20. It also spends more than $13 billion in roadway crash costs each year. In 2015, 546 people died in traffic-related crashes, and more than 3,000 were seriously injured.