Skip to main content

No need for safety drivers in AVs, says UK government

The UK government has signalled that it is ready to allow autonomous vehicles (AVs) with no driver to be tested on public roads. It is already committed to having fully self-driving vehicles on UK roads by 2021. At present, operators are legally required to test AVs only when “a driver is present, in or out of the vehicle, who is ready, able, and willing to resume control of the vehicle”. But the Department for Transport (DfT)’s updated code of practice on trialling AVs on public roads - as opposed t
February 7, 2019 Read time: 2 mins

The UK government has signalled that it is ready to allow autonomous vehicles (AVs) with no driver to be tested on public roads.

It is already committed to having fully self-driving vehicles on UK roads by 2021. At present, operators are legally required to test AVs only when “a driver is present, in or out of the vehicle, who is ready, able, and willing to resume control of the vehicle”.

But the 1837 Department for Transport (DfT)’s updated %$Linker: 2 External <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?><dictionary /> 0 0 0 link-external code of practice false https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/trialling-automated-vehicle-technologies-in-public false false%> on trialling AVs on public roads -  as opposed to test tracks - makes clear that this will no longer be a requirement in some circumstances.

However, any new process will be subject to “rigorous safety assessments”.

“The government is aware of the growing desire to conduct more advanced trials on public roads,” it reads. “Such trials may currently be outside of the law and may require support and facilitation from the DfT to proceed.”

“The government is supporting the safe, transparent trialling of this pioneering technology, which could transform the way we travel,” said Jesse Norman, future of mobility minister.

The DfT has now pledged to ‘develop and operate’ a process to support advanced trials on public roads for organisations which are ready to conduct such trials. Companies should contact DfT’s Centre for Connected & AVs (C/AVs) “as far in advance as possible”.

The UK’s market for C/AVs is estimated to be worth £52 billion by 2035.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Battery bottleneck: EV roll-out at risk
    June 17, 2019
    In order for the take-up of electric vehicles – a key part of the future mobility mix - to grow, we need batteries. And that might prove tricky, reports Graham Anderson Industry and commodities experts fear that the growth in electric vehicles (EVs) could be much slower than predicted due to bottlenecks in global battery market supply chains. “People seem to think that the switch from the internal combustion engine to electric vehicles just means you plug your car in rather than fill it with petrol,” a
  • MaaS Market London considers mobility for elderly and those with special needs
    March 8, 2019
    The ways in which authorities can meet the mobility needs of an ageing population and people with disabilities are to be addressed at ITS International’s MaaS Market Conference later this month. Beth Cocker, head of design and consultancy at ESP group subsidiary Viaqqio will describe MaaS-derived pilot projects in the UK West Midlands and in Scotland. Viaqqio has used elements of modular-designed MaaS software previously used in Dundee to address two important issues: the requirements of elderly drivers
  • Sensoris platform releases vehicle-to-cloud data standard
    July 12, 2018
    A new vehicle-to-cloud data standard has been released to cover connected and automated driving. Available on Sensoris' platform - co-ordinated by ERTICO – ITS Europe and initiated by Here Technologies - it aims to close the loop between the vehicle’s sensors, map and connected services. Sensoris represents a group of vehicle manufacturers, telecommunications, location, content and service providers and navigation systems suppliers whose new specification is intended to be used across the automotive indu
  • Eastlink launches self-driving survey, Australia
    September 11, 2017
    Toll route operator Eastlink, with support from Australian Road Research Board, has launched the first of an annual Victorian self-driving vehicle survey for Victorian motorists’ attitudes to and perceptions of self-driving vehicles, to be completed 8 October 2017. The first major survey is aimed at motorists, irrespective of whether they use Eastlink and will be repeated annually to track changes into the future