Skip to main content

'190,000 trips' on day 1 of Sydney Metro extension

15.5km extension means 2,645 new metro services will travel through city each week
By Adam Hill August 20, 2024 Read time: 2 mins
Lucky people (image: NSW Government | Sydney Metro)

More than 190,000 trips were made on the first day (19 August) of the Sydney Metro extension, according to NSW Government.

The new driverless service in the Australian city extends from the north-west, under the famous harbour for the first time, and through the Sydney central business district, with six brand-new underground stations - Crows Nest, Victoria Cross, Barangaroo, Martin Place, Gadigal and Waterloo - and new metro platforms at Central and Sydenham stations.  

The 15.5km extension is the latest stage of the M1 Northwest & Bankstown Line, which has stops at 21 stations between Tallawong and Sydenham. The remaining 13km of the M1 Line will open after the conversion of 10 existing stations on the T3 Bankstown Line.

Around 30 services per hour run at peak times, with capacity to move more people across Sydney Harbour in the busiest hour than the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Harbour Tunnel combined.

It means 2,645 new metro services will travel through the heart of the city each week, moving 17,000 people each way per hour in the morning rush hour.

A train runs every four minutes in the peak, seven minutes during weekdays between morning and afternoon peak services (increasing after the first month to a train every five minutes) and every 10 minutes during off peak and on weekends.

There are approximately 100 CCTV cameras at every station and 38 cameras inside each train, with 600 secure bike parking spaces at Crows Nest, Victoria Cross, Waterloo and Sydenham, as part of 900 new bike parking spaces across all eight stations.

Platform screen door technology keeps riders away from tracks.

Minister for transport Jo Haylen says: "This is the biggest change to Sydney’s public transport system since the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It’s going to double rail capacity across our harbour, take pressure off our heavy rail network and deliver a fantastic new transport service for passengers right across our city.”

Sydney Metro chief executive Peter Regan says the new M1 City Line is open "after a year of testing and commissioning, including more than 200 simulated exercises that have included disruption, emergency scenarios and security drills".

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • London needs just one road user charge, says report
    July 8, 2019
    London’s patchwork of road charging schemes should be replaced by a single, distance-based user charge, according to new research. Apart from anything else, it would be much fairer… The UK capital’s multiple road charging schemes require a radical overhaul, according to a new report by the Centre for London thinktank. The suggested solution is to replace existing levies on drivers with a single, distance-based user charge which would more fairly reflect how much, and at what time, people are using London
  • Compass4D second meeting examines Danish ITS bus project
    April 26, 2013
    Following its successful first meeting in Spain earlier this year, the Compass4D consortium met for the second time in Copenhagen to plan forthcoming work and to participate in a joint workshop with ITS Denmark on ITS deployment best practices. The Copenhagen pilot site is important to the project as the city will deploy cooperative systems on at least ninety buses and at twenty-one traffic signals. The route chosen for the pilot site is a central bus route running between Copenhagen Central Station and the
  • Multi-modal’s long road into the transportation mainstream
    June 4, 2015
    Andrew Bardin Williams looks at 20 years of multimodal transport in the Sun Belt and beyond and the key requirement for user engagement. Phoenix residents will head to the polls in August to decide whether to implement a three-tenths of a cent sales tax to fund the city’s new multimodal transportation plan. It will be the second transportation-related sales tax hike in the past 15 years yet city officials and advocates expect the resolution to easily pass—despite the strong anti-tax environment that has dom
  • Automated enforcement tames speeders in Chicago’s Children’s Safety Zones
    November 20, 2013
    Chicago is installing automated enforcement after pilot schemes indicated that one in 10 motorists exceed the speed limits in Children’s Safety Zones. Each year in Chicago there are around 3,000 incidents of pedestrians being struck by a motor vehicle - and about 800 of those casualties are children. In an effort to improve child safety the Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) has established Children’s Safety Zones around schools and other areas where children congregate. These zones allow the impos