Skip to main content

UK smart motorway traffic management system suffers two-hour 'outage'

'We apologise for any inconvenience caused,' says National Highways
By Adam Hill February 22, 2023 Read time: 2 mins
Smart motorways: already controversial (© Jevanto | Dreamstime.com)

The traffic system on part of the England's smart motorway network - already controversial because of motorist deaths and safety concerns - was unexpectedly out of action for two hours this morning.

It happened from "around 8.30am and lasted until around 10.30am", says National Highways, which runs the network.

CCTV was still operational during this time, it says, and the south-east and east of the country was not affected.

The organisation insists: "There were no major incidents or serious congestion reported on the network during this period."

The UK government announced last year that development of these all-lane running highways will be put on hold for another few years to assess safety data.

But in the meantime, the existing smart motorway network operates with hard shoulders used as lanes for vehicles - meaning safe spaces for breakdowns is limited to specific refuge areas.

“We are urgently investigating an unplanned outage of our traffic management system that took place this morning," said operational control director Andrew Page-Dove.

“Engineers worked hard to get the system back online as soon as possible and we apologise for any inconvenience caused."

“We have well-rehearsed procedures to deal with issues which arise," continues Page-Dove. "We rapidly took steps to help ensure the safety of road users such as increased patrols and CCTV monitoring.”

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Inrix: Bucharest most congested city in 2020 
    March 12, 2021
    Largest US cities saw average decline of 44% in trips to city centres, Inrix says
  • Debating road user charging systems
    January 26, 2012
    Are pre-launch trials of charging systems the way to improve public acceptance? Or is the real key a more robust political attitude? Here, leading system suppliers discuss the issue. The use of distance-based Road User Charging (RUC) is now well established, at least for heavy goods vehicles on strategic roads. However demand management for all vehicles, whether a distance-based charge or some form of cordon scheme, has yet to make significant progress. This is in spite of the logic and equity of RUC being
  • Drivers urged: ‘Don’t put road workers lives at risk’
    May 23, 2018
    A road junction in Merseyside, UK, has become a hotspot for life-threatening incidents to construction workers, says Highways England. Contractors have reported 23 incidents in two months where their safety has been put at risk by drivers ignoring overnight closures. Road users have driven into roadworks for the £3m improvement project at Switch Island, where the M57, M58 and three A roads all join. One lorry driver travelled through the construction area without stopping - forcing workers to get out
  • Safer Road Fund wins royal recognition
    December 1, 2021
    Road schemes designed to prevent 1,450 fatal and serious injuries over next 20 years