Skip to main content

Redflex ‘does not expect further action’ from US Department of Justice

Traffic enforcement specialist Redflex Holdings says it expects no further legal action or new financial liabilities arising from investigations by the US Department of Justice (DoJ). The action, which has rumbled on for several years, related to misconduct by former employees of US subsidiary Redflex Traffic Systems. The company signed a two-year non-prosecution agreement (NPA) with the DoJ, which has now ended. Under the expired deal, the DoJ agreed not to charge the firm with any offence provided the
January 18, 2019 Read time: 2 mins

Traffic enforcement specialist 112 Redflex Holdings says it expects no further legal action or new financial liabilities arising from investigations by the US Department of Justice (DoJ).

The action, which has rumbled on for several years, related to misconduct by former employees of US subsidiary 112 Redflex Traffic Systems. The company signed a two-year non-prosecution agreement (NPA) with the DoJ, which has now ended.

Under the expired deal, the DoJ agreed not to charge the firm with any offence provided the company complied fully with its terms.

Redflex has cooperated with the successful prosecutions of several people, including a high-ranking city of Chicago official and a former chief executive officer of Redflex.

In 2016, the company said: “The misconduct under investigation ended more than four years ago, and the individuals involved have not been employed…for almost four years.”

Redflex agreed to pay reparations of $100,000 to the city of Colombus, Ohio and still has to pay $9 million to the city of Chicago, the next instalment of which is due by the end of the year.

The NPA also said that Redflex had to “revise and address any deficiencies in its compliance code, policies and procedures regarding compliance with applicable anti-bribery and anti-corruption laws”.

In a related development, Redflex has also announced that it has received a letter from the Australian Federal Police stating that it has “concluded its investigation and that no action will be taken regarding the company or a former officer that was the subject of its investigation”.

The company says it “remains committed to the high standard of corporate governance and risk management and to the maintenance of the ‘compliance culture’ that it has developed over many years”.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Verra Mobility to buy Redflex for $113m
    January 22, 2021
    Deal is set to go through in May and will create 'enhanced global reach', says Verra
  • Ex-Yunex boss Schlitt takes over at Holon
    May 2, 2025
    Holon Urban driverless shuttle will be tested on streets of Hamburg this year
  • Brazil-Spain group could lose highway contract
    April 10, 2015
    An engineering consortium made up of Brazil's Mendes Junior and Spain's Isolux Corsán could be stripped of its US$208 million contract to build part of the northern stretch of the Mario Covas beltway surrounding the city of São Paulo. The consortium, led by Mendes Junior, is having difficulty honouring commitments due to a lack of cash flow and, according to São Paulo state highway company Dersa, it is not completing works according to the contract schedule signed in January 2013, local paper Folha de Sã
  • Transport Systems Catapult boss: ‘We can’t build our way out of congestion’
    March 4, 2019
    The UK Transport Systems Catapult’s CEO Paul Campion talks to Colin Sowman about helping companies develop tomorrow’s solutions – and explains why you can never build your way to empty roads The future of mobility is going to be driven by services.” That’s the opening position of Paul Campion, CEO of the Transport Systems Catapult (TSC) – the UK government organisation set up to help boost transport-related employment and the economy. Campion was previously with IBM and describes himself as a ‘techno o