Skip to main content

Distracted driving on the up: US report

Risky behaviour such as checking phones while behind the wheel has risen markedly
By Adam Hill April 14, 2022 Read time: 2 mins
In 2021, distracted driving remained high all year round (© lzf | Dreamstime.com)

If you've recently spent time checking your text messages while driving, then you're not alone.

In fact, according to a report from Cambridge Mobile Telematics (CMT), February 2022 was the worst month for phone distraction for drivers in the US since the start of 2019.

They spent one minute and 38 seconds on average distracted by their phones for each hour of driving, the report found - a massive 30% increase over February 2020, the last month before the pandemic began.

In May 2021, CMT found that pandemic restrictions and new working patterns reduced the number of driving trips by 60% - but dangerous behaviours rose, with speeding up 64% and distracted driving 18%.

While driving patterns have returned closer to pre-Covid levels, speeding has fallen, the report suggests.

This may be as a result of more traffic on the roads - but phone distraction has still continued to rise. 

Distracted driving has been a significant worry for lobby groups during Covid.

CMT says that it has tended to be seasonal, getting worse in summer and falling in winter - but in 2021 it remained high all year round.

Evening and late-night distracted driving have also surged compared to pre-pandemic levels. 

The analysis for the 2022 US report comes from driving data collected via CMT’s DriveWell platform, which measures the driving behaviours of millions of people every day. 

 

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Bhatt: 'Critical opportunity' for cybersecurity
    July 22, 2021
    ITS America CEO Shailen Bhatt tells US Senate funds are needed to 'manage vulnerabilities'
  • Enforcement cuts distracted driving dramatically
    April 17, 2012
    The government of Indonesia says it is working to reduce the number of road deaths in the country by 50 per cent by 2020 and by 80 per cent by 2035. To achieve this, the government will be upgrading the road infrastructure as well as introducing a road safety programme that will run over a ten-year and 25-year plans, starting this year. The programme will be overseen by the National Planning Development Board with involvement of the national police as well as the public works, transportation, national educa
  • Is fare-free transit taking us for a ride?
    August 11, 2022
    More cities around the world are trialling fare-free public transit schemes. Do they work and are they sustainable? Andrew Stone puts absolutely no money on his travelcard and jumps on board
  • No city is a traffic island
    April 2, 2024
    Beate Kubitz reflects on the rising tide of suburban drivers - and how cities across Europe are dealing with them as worries over air quality multiply