Skip to main content

Congestion charge in Milan city centre slashes traffic volumes

In the first two months following the launch of a congestion charge in Milan city centre, Italy, car transit in the area has decreased by 36 per cent to 87,095 vehicles per day. Overall, car journeys decreased by some two million, and it was found that cars owned by residents in the area only accounted for 11 per cent of the total, while six per cent are public service vehicles.
March 22, 2012 Read time: 1 min
In the first two months following the launch of a congestion charge in Milan city centre, Italy, car transit in the area has decreased by 36 per cent to 87,095 vehicles per day. Overall, car journeys decreased by some two million, and it was found that cars owned by residents in the area only accounted for 11 per cent of the total, while six per cent are public service vehicles.

Related Content

  • No evidence California cellphone ban decreased accidents, says researcher
    July 18, 2014
    In a recent study, a researcher at the University of Colorado Boulder found no evidence that a California ban on using hand-held cellphones while driving decreased the number of traffic accidents in the state in the first six months following the ban. The findings, published in the journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, are surprising given prior research that suggests driving while using a cellphone is risky; past laboratory studies have shown that people who talk on a cellphone wh
  • Sampo Hietanen’s mobility mission
    June 17, 2016
    For a decade Sampo Hietanen harboured a vision of an alternative form of mobility, now as CEO of MaaS Finland he is putting theory into practice. Sampo Hietanen has become the embodiment of Mobility as a Service (MaaS) – a concept he created 10 years ago while working for Finnish civil engineering giant Destia. “I had been working with the mobile sector on traffic information and started thinking what will happen when this becomes bigger,” he says.
  • ‘Risky tailgating and speeding rife on UK motorways’
    May 22, 2014
    Six in ten UK drivers own up to risky tailgating (57 per cent) and a similar proportion break the limit by 10mph or more (60 per cent) on motorways and 70mph dual carriageways, with men by far the worst offenders, a survey by Brake and insurance company Direct Line reveals. Almost all drivers say they worry about other drivers tailgating on motorways: 95 per cent are at least occasionally concerned about vehicles too close behind them; more than four in ten (44 per cent) are concerned every, or most, tim
  • California traffic deaths drop for fifth consecutive year
    April 20, 2012
    California saw a decline in overall traffic deaths for the fifth year in a row. According to federal government figures, total vehicle fatalities dropped 11.9 per cent, from 3,081 in 2009 to 2,715 in 2010. Since the latest high of 4,333 in 2005, the 2010 figures show a total decline of 37.3 per cent.