Skip to main content

Better enforcement needed to combat drivers using mobile phones says FTA

Responding to proposed changes to penalties on drivers using a hand-held mobile phone, the Freight Transport Association (FTA) has said that better enforcement is needed before penalties are increased. After consulting with members at its Road Freight Council Meeting in London yesterday, the FTA stated that the use of modern technology and cameras should be able to enable authorities to improve enforcement and provide evidence against those breaking the law. The recently launched consultation proc
February 8, 2016 Read time: 2 mins
Responding to proposed changes to penalties on drivers using a hand-held mobile phone, the 6983 Freight Transport Association (FTA) has said that better enforcement is needed before penalties are increased.  
 
After consulting with members at its Road Freight Council Meeting in London yesterday, the FTA stated that the use of modern technology and cameras should be able to enable authorities to improve enforcement and provide evidence against those breaking the law.

The recently launched consultation process by the 1837 Department for Transport (DfT) outlined the proposed changes to penalties for the offence of using a hand-held mobile phone while driving.  The announcement outlined consideration by the Government to increase the cost of a fixed penalty notice from £100 to £150 for all drivers, and the number of penalty points on an HGV driver’s licence would rise from three to six.

Ian Gallagher, FTA head of policy south west and Wales said: "FTA members have told us that whilst they welcome the increase in sanctions they believe there is a definite need for better enforcement against drivers using mobile phones when behind the wheel.  
 
“We know that many already have a ‘zero-tolerance’ approach to their drivers using a hand held mobile device in their Terms and Conditions of employment, and a single offence would mean the driver losing their job.  HGV drivers are also subject to regulation by the Traffic Commissioners and a second offence could lead to a two or three week suspension of their HGV licence.”

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Drivers’ union calls on TfL to reconsider preliminary proposals on cab regulations
    February 24, 2016
    GMB, the union for professional drivers, is calling on Transport for London to reconsider some proposals that it put forward as preliminary indications as to how it wishes to proceed on the regulation of cab drivers, which it says waters down protection for passengers and drivers. It claims that mandatory Disclosure and Barring Service (DMS) checks for support staff have been watered down so that they do not apply to office-based staff. GMB consider that operators will be able to substitute office based
  • ITS America focuses on the environment
    March 13, 2012
    ITS America's appointment of a Director of Environmental Affairs signals a major new focus
  • Asecap: get ready to rethink everything you know
    November 15, 2022
    How can we make our infrastructure ready for new sustainability challenges? What kind of investments are needed? And who will finance them? Tolling association Asecap has some thoughts. Geoff Hadwick reports from Lisbon
  • Do buses need subsidies in congestion charging areas
    June 20, 2016
    David Crawford takes a look at the debate surrounding bus subsidies. Subsidies for public transport are a well-known and frequently-used policy tool directed at reducing the high environmental and social costs of peak-period traffic congestion. But at the end of last year the Swedish Centre for Transport Studies published a working paper entitled ‘Should buses still be subsidised in Stockholm?’ This concluded that the subsidy levels currently being applied in Stockholm could be nearly halved by setting bus