Skip to main content

UK smart motorways scrapped due to 'lack of public confidence'

'Pause' on roll-out has been made permanent - with £1bn cost also cited as a factor
By Adam Hill April 17, 2023 Read time: 2 mins
They think it's all over (© Jonathan Mitchell | Dreamstime.com)

The UK government has abandoned the building of any new smart motorways.

This is "due to financial pressures and lack of confidence felt by drivers", a statement from the UK Department for Transport (DfT) says.

Concerns have been raised over the safety of these highways, whose frequent all-lane running (ALR) means what would normally be the hard shoulder is used for live traffic to cope with increased demand.

Cameras and sensors were supposed to alert motorists to an incident, such as a broken-down car, in this inside lane - although some of the technology has not worked well enough or, on some sections, does not seem to be in use at all.

Gaps between safe 'refuge areas' can be as much as 1.6 miles on the smart motorway network - despite the government acknowledging in 2021 that they should be around half that distance from one another.

A coroner recorded a verdict of unlawful killing after the deaths of two men hit on England's M1 in June 2019, and the government 'paused' the roll-out of smart motorways a year ago to gather more data on safety.

But it is not just about driver confidence in safety - cost is also a factor in the decision.

"Initial estimations suggest constructing future smart motorway schemes would have cost more than £1 billion and cancelling these schemes will allow more time to track public confidence in smart motorways over a longer period," the DfT says.

Three smart motorways due for construction in the Road Investment Strategy (2025-30), as well as the 11 previously paused schemes, will now not go ahead.

But the M56 J6-8 and M6 J21a-26 will be completed, "given they are already over three-quarters constructed".

A previous pledge to invest £900m to improve safety on existing ALR motorways is still in place, including £390m of new money for 150 extra emergency areas - around a 50% increase in places to stop by 2025. 

UK prime minister Rishi Sunak said: "All drivers deserve to have confidence in the roads they use to get around the country. That’s why last year I pledged to stop the building of all new smart motorways, and today I’m making good on that promise."

Transport secretary Mark Harper said: "We want the public to know that this government is listening to their concerns."

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Government unveils new measures to further improve road safety
    December 22, 2015
    The UK Department for Transport (DfT) has unveiled a raft of measures to improve the safety of Britain’s roads, including US$3 million for research into driver education, including the possibility of giving learner drivers motorway experience with an instructor before taking their test.
  • Arup and Amey to design Australian smart motorway project
    September 28, 2016
    Arup, working with Amey, is to deliver the M4 Smart Motorway project, said to be the first of its kind in New South Wales, Australia. The commission includes all technology and civil works, spanning from detailed design through to construction support services.
  • Time to decide
    December 4, 2014
    The old fuel tax methods can no longer produce the funding required to maintain the infrastructure without a massive increase in duty rates. In this issue we get a variety of views on two of the hottest topics in transportation; financing models and Smart Cities.
  • Increasing road safety with automated driver assistance systems
    January 26, 2012
    Jon Masters looks at how drivers will be trained to use the increasing number of advanced driver assistance systems being incorporated into modern cars