Skip to main content

UK smart motorways scrapped due to 'lack of public confidence'

'Pause' on roll-out has been made permanent - with £1bn cost also cited as a factor
By Adam Hill April 17, 2023 Read time: 2 mins
They think it's all over (© Jonathan Mitchell | Dreamstime.com)

The UK government has abandoned the building of any new smart motorways.

This is "due to financial pressures and lack of confidence felt by drivers", a statement from the UK Department for Transport (DfT) says.

Concerns have been raised over the safety of these highways, whose frequent all-lane running (ALR) means what would normally be the hard shoulder is used for live traffic to cope with increased demand.

Cameras and sensors were supposed to alert motorists to an incident, such as a broken-down car, in this inside lane - although some of the technology has not worked well enough or, on some sections, does not seem to be in use at all.

Gaps between safe 'refuge areas' can be as much as 1.6 miles on the smart motorway network - despite the government acknowledging in 2021 that they should be around half that distance from one another.

A coroner recorded a verdict of unlawful killing after the deaths of two men hit on England's M1 in June 2019, and the government 'paused' the roll-out of smart motorways a year ago to gather more data on safety.

But it is not just about driver confidence in safety - cost is also a factor in the decision.

"Initial estimations suggest constructing future smart motorway schemes would have cost more than £1 billion and cancelling these schemes will allow more time to track public confidence in smart motorways over a longer period," the DfT says.

Three smart motorways due for construction in the Road Investment Strategy (2025-30), as well as the 11 previously paused schemes, will now not go ahead.

But the M56 J6-8 and M6 J21a-26 will be completed, "given they are already over three-quarters constructed".

A previous pledge to invest £900m to improve safety on existing ALR motorways is still in place, including £390m of new money for 150 extra emergency areas - around a 50% increase in places to stop by 2025. 

UK prime minister Rishi Sunak said: "All drivers deserve to have confidence in the roads they use to get around the country. That’s why last year I pledged to stop the building of all new smart motorways, and today I’m making good on that promise."

Transport secretary Mark Harper said: "We want the public to know that this government is listening to their concerns."

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Traffic congestion costs UK business millions each year
    November 29, 2016
    Traffic congestion is costing UK businesses approximately US$957 million (£767 million) a year in lost productivity, according to research conducted by TomTom. The TomTom Traffic Index has found traffic across the UK’s 25 most congested cities and towns increases the time each vehicle spends on the road by an average of 127 hours a year. And the situation seems to be getting worse. An average journey in 2015 took 29 per cent longer than it would in free-flowing conditions, up from a 25 per cent delay
  • Walk | Don’t Walk – actually, just Don’t Walk
    March 17, 2025
    In 1925 a traffic ordinance was introduced in Los Angeles. The 100-year anniversary is significant because, transportation historian Peter Norton suggests, the law in effect set the blueprint for car-dependency across the US. Adam Hill asks him how…
  • UK ITS professionals doubt driverless car timescales
    February 6, 2018
    Only one member of ITS (UK) thinks that level five driverless cars will be on the country’s roads by 2021, as suggested by chancellor Philip Hammond in the autumn budget. The results showed a near 50/50 split between those who expect fully driverless cars to be available within 15 years and those who think it will take longer to become widespread.
  • Roadside monitoring used to target non-compliant trucks
    March 9, 2016
    The UK’s DVSA is utilising existing technology to identify non-compliant commercial vehicles and target repeat offenders while avoiding law-abiding companies. Enforcing the compliance of commercial vehicles (goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes and vehicles with eight or more passenger seats) on the UK’s roads is the responsibility of the DVSA (the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency). The Department for Transport created the executive agency about 18 months ago by merging the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) and t