Skip to main content

Calls for smart motorway halt grow louder

UK transport select committee says hard shoulder motorways “apparently confuse” drivers
By Ben Spencer November 5, 2021 Read time: 3 mins
Committee wants a pause on the roll-out of all-lane running motorways until five years of safety data are available (© Gorgios | Dreamstime.com)

The UK's Transport Select Committee wants a pause on the roll-out of all-lane running motorways until five years of safety data is available. 

Earlier this year, following several deaths, a UK coroner called for a review of the safety of such highways, which typically feature no hard shoulder.

In a new report, the committee is calling on the Department of Transport (DfT) and National Highways to halt these deployments until data over this period of time is available for the remaining 112 miles of all-lane running motorway introduced before 2020. 

The committee says the UK Government's decision in March 2020 that all new smart motorways will be all-lane running motorways was premature. 

Rollout and safety of smart motorways says the DfT and National Highways should retrofit emergency refuge areas to existing all-lane running motorways to make them a maximum of 1 mile apart, decreasing to every 0.75 miles where physically possible.

It is also urging both parties to insert the emergency corridor manoeuvre into the Highway Code to help emergency services and traffic patrol officers to access incidents when traffic is congested.

The committee also wants them to commission the Office of Rail and Road to conduct an independent evaluation of the effectiveness and operation of stopped vehicle technology.

According to the committee, the office should also evaluate how successful the Government's action plan has been in reducing incidences of live lane breakdowns on all-lane running motorways and reducing the time for which people who breakdown or stop in live lane are at risk. 

The document points out that dynamic hard shoulder motorways “apparently confuse” drivers because it is used unpredictably to tackle congestion. 

A more consistent approach, where the hard shoulder is used at known times, could clarify the situation for drivers without physically removing it.

The report advises the DfT and National Highways to pause plans to convert dynamic hard shoulder motorways until the next Road Investment Strategy. It also suggests they use the intervening period to trial alternative ways in which to operate the hard shoulder to make the rules less confusing.

The committee claims that controlled motors, which retain the hard shoulder and have the technology to regulate traffic, have the lowest casualty rates of all the types of motorway on the strategic road network. 

Therefore, it urges the DfT to carefully consider how the business case for them compares with that for all-lane running motorways.

The group concludes by saying that it is not convinced that reinstating the hard shoulder on all all-lane running motorways will improve safety as the evidence suggests that doing so could put more drivers and passengers at risk of death and serious injury. 

 

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Autumn budget: EV charging infrastructure fund and higher tax rates for diesel vehicles
    November 23, 2017
    Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond has announced a £400m ($532m) charging infrastructure fund for electric vehicles (EVs), an extra £100m ($133m) investment in Plug-In-Car Grant, and a £40m ($53m) in charging R&D in the UK’s Autumn Budget 2017. He added that laws need to be clarified so that motorists who charge their EVs at work will not face a benefit-in-kind charge from next year.
  • CBI calls for new approach to road funding
    October 11, 2012
    The Confederation of British Industry (CBI) calls for road charging should be introduced on the strategic road network in England. Proposals in the report, Bold Thinking: A model to fund our future roads also suggest that responsibility for the network’s budget should be taken away from the Department for Transport (DfT) and given to an independent regulator. Launching the report, CBI director-general John Cridland said a regulatory asset base (RAB) model was required to address the problem of long-term fu
  • AI is creating road maintenance savings
    July 30, 2021
    Artificial intelligence is starting to create savings for hard-pressed local authorities when it comes to road maintenance. David Crawford reviews recent advances in cost and performance control
  • Is road user charging the first stop for congestion management?
    July 23, 2012
    David Hytch, Information Systems Director at the Greater Manchester Public Transport Executive, considers just where congestion pricing schemes should sit in transport planners' hierarchy of options for managing demand. On the face of it, Greater Manchester in England's proposed congestion charging scheme hit just about every sweet spot possible when it came to convincing the general public of the need for and benefits of such a venture. There was the promise from national government of almost £3bn-worth of