Skip to main content

USDOT partners with Mobileye in Smart City Challenge

The US Department of Transportation (USDOT) is to partner with Mobileye to equip the Smart City Challenge winner with crash avoidance technology. Announcing the partnership, Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said the winning city's public bus system will receive the installation of Mobileye's Shield+ technology on every bus. This is in addition to U.S. DOT's award of up to US$40 million and an award of up to US$10 million from the Challenge’s launch partner, Vulcan Philanthropy.
January 8, 2016 Read time: 2 mins

The US Department of Transportation (USDOT) is to partner with 4279 Mobileye to equip the Smart City Challenge winner with crash avoidance technology.

Announcing the partnership, Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said the winning city's public bus system will receive the installation of Mobileye's Shield+ technology on every bus.  This is in addition to U.S. DOT's award of up to US$40 million and an award of up to US$10 million from the Challenge’s launch partner, Vulcan Philanthropy.

Mobileye’s Shield+ driver assistance safety technology is designed to enable bus drivers in the selected city to avoid and mitigate imminent collisions and protect road users including cyclists, pedestrians, and motorcyclists. The winning city will need to work with Mobileye to secure this technology contribution. Once installed, the technology is designed to generate continuous, real-time data delivery, which will enable the winning city to make improvements to the safety and efficiency of its public bus system.

The announcement follows last month’s launch of US DOT’s Smart City Challenge, a competition that will support the creation of a fully integrated, first-of-its-kind city that uses data, technology and creativity to shape how people and goods move in the future.  The Challenge is a collaborative partnership that aims to implement bold, data-driven ideas to make transportation safer, easier, and more reliable.

The first round of applications is due by 4 February. USDOT will then announce five finalists in March 2016, who will then compete for up to US$40 million to be awarded to one city in June 2016.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • Smart Cities put people, prudence and businesses before technology
    December 4, 2014
    Caroline Haynes tells ITS International that transport planners and equipment suppliers need to adopt different thinking and the smartest cities don’t call themselves smart. The term Smart Cities has been around for some time and has become something of a catch-all term applied to novel or futuristic technology deployed in an urban setting.
  • ITS solutions to keep truck traffic moving
    June 8, 2015
    David Crawford reviews freight management initiatives. Managing truck traffic to minimise its environmental impacts, without adversely impacting on its critical economic role, continues to drive ITS-based solutions in both urban and interurban contexts.
  • When weather warnings get hyperlocal
    August 24, 2016
    David Crawford looks at new technologies to cope with the age-old problem of driving in bad weather. On the 10-year average, between 2005 and 2014 bad weather contributed to more than 1.5 million vehicle crashes in the US each year, resulting in more than 800,000 injuries and 7,400 deaths. These were the findings of analysis by Booz Allen Hamilton of NHTSA data which concluded that the loss of life, hospital treatment and damage to assets costs an annual average of $42bn.
  • IRF reveals global award winners
    November 7, 2022
    ITS projects among those which won IRF's 2022 Global Road Achievement Awards