Skip to main content

UK ‘to trial driverless trucks’

According to news reports, UK Chancellor George Osborne is expected to announce funding for driverless truck trials on the M6 motorway when he delivers his budget this month. A stretch of the M6 near Carlisle has reportedly been earmarked for the trials, which could see platoons of up to ten driverless lorries take to the road as the government pushes ahead with next-generation transportation in a bid to reduce congestion and journey times. The trucks would each have a driver in the cab as a safety me
March 7, 2016 Read time: 2 mins
According to news reports, UK Chancellor George Osborne is expected to announce funding for driverless truck trials on the M6 motorway when he delivers his budget this month.

A stretch of the M6 near Carlisle has reportedly been earmarked for the trials, which could see platoons of up to ten driverless lorries take to the road as the government pushes ahead with next-generation transportation in a bid to reduce congestion and journey times.

The trucks would each have a driver in the cab as a safety measure and to take control in the event of an emergency, but the convoy would be controlled by the driver in the lead vehicle, who would control steering, acceleration and braking of the fleet.

However, Paul Watters, head of roads and transport policy for the AA, told the Daily Telegraph that there are many obstacles ahead of achieving the driverless ‘utopia" on the roads.

He said: "Convoys of driverless lorries and motorists will certainly be very nervous about the prospect and will need considerable reassurance that it will be safe. Motorways are pretty congested in the UK, they are about the most congested in Europe, and there will be problems in how they access and exit the roads."

He explained that a procession of driverless lorries could block slip roads, meaning they would have to use the offside lane. "There are lots of logistical problems," he added.

Related Content

  • Australia’s Transurban to trial road user charging
    March 27, 2015
    Speaking at a major industry forum, Scott Charlton, CEO of Australian toll roads operator, Transurban, said that the country’s major cities risk a decline in liveability without major investment in transport systems and an overhaul of transport funding model. Charlton said that despite significant progress by state governments traditional funding systems were outdated, unsustainable and unfair, and cannot sustain the funding needed to address Australia’s transport infrastructure deficit. Charlton said it
  • Truck tolls set to replace French ecotax
    June 24, 2014
    The controversial ecotax on heavy goods vehicles that sparked protests across France last year has been consigned to the scrapheap, according to a report in French newspaper The Connexion. Prime Minister Manuel Valls has confirmed that the government will roll out a new system of road tolls on trucks using roads with particularly heavy freight traffic. The charge will be imposed on vehicles weighing more than 3.5 tonnes using 4,000 kilometres of roads that carry more than 2,500 heavy goods vehicles a day
  • ARTBA president: what happened to the hoverboards?
    October 28, 2019
    What keeps Dave Bauer up at night? David Arminas caught up with the head of ARTBA at his Washington, DC office during daylight hours Dave Bauer doesn’t really have many sleepless nights. He might sleep, though, with one eye open, just in case. “We have become a much more divided country politically,” says Bauer, president of ARTBA – American Road and Transportation Builders Association. “Whether you are thinking about federal government, or state or local government, there’s a hostility now in our politi
  • World Congress celebrates coming of age in Detroit
    September 7, 2014
    This is the 21st ITS World Congress and as Scott Belcher, President and CEO of ITS America, puts the event in its wider context, it’s clear that ITS has come of age