Skip to main content

UK ‘to trial driverless trucks’

According to news reports, UK Chancellor George Osborne is expected to announce funding for driverless truck trials on the M6 motorway when he delivers his budget this month. A stretch of the M6 near Carlisle has reportedly been earmarked for the trials, which could see platoons of up to ten driverless lorries take to the road as the government pushes ahead with next-generation transportation in a bid to reduce congestion and journey times. The trucks would each have a driver in the cab as a safety me
March 7, 2016 Read time: 2 mins
According to news reports, UK Chancellor George Osborne is expected to announce funding for driverless truck trials on the M6 motorway when he delivers his budget this month.

A stretch of the M6 near Carlisle has reportedly been earmarked for the trials, which could see platoons of up to ten driverless lorries take to the road as the government pushes ahead with next-generation transportation in a bid to reduce congestion and journey times.

The trucks would each have a driver in the cab as a safety measure and to take control in the event of an emergency, but the convoy would be controlled by the driver in the lead vehicle, who would control steering, acceleration and braking of the fleet.

However, Paul Watters, head of roads and transport policy for the AA, told the Daily Telegraph that there are many obstacles ahead of achieving the driverless ‘utopia" on the roads.

He said: "Convoys of driverless lorries and motorists will certainly be very nervous about the prospect and will need considerable reassurance that it will be safe. Motorways are pretty congested in the UK, they are about the most congested in Europe, and there will be problems in how they access and exit the roads."

He explained that a procession of driverless lorries could block slip roads, meaning they would have to use the offside lane. "There are lots of logistical problems," he added.

Related Content

  • Smart motorways 'not safer in every way' says UK gov
    March 13, 2020
    Smart motorways are not always as safe - or safer - than conventional motorways, the UK government has acknowledged.
  • Intelligence transport systems potential?
    February 25, 2013
    The world of intelligent transport systems can, it would seem, be just as beset by muddled thinking as any other sector. How else to interpret the baffling announcement in January by the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) chairman Julius Genachowski that the FCC intends to open up almost 200MHz of spectrum in the 5GHz band to unlicensed users, starting almost immediately? As the FCC itself points out, this would be the largest block of unlicensed spectrum to be made available for Wi-Fi in nearly te
  • Prison sentence for holding a mobile device while driving
    February 5, 2015
    As of 1 February, it will be illegal for drivers in Singapore to hold any type of mobile device while driving. Previously, only calling or texting someone on a mobile phone was barred. Anyone caught holding any mobile device, phone or tablet, while driving can be found guilty of committing an offence; this means mobile phones and tablets. The new changes include not just talking or texting but also surfing the web, visiting social media sites and downloading material. The law also applies to just hold
  • M25 becomes UK’s smartest motorway
    April 11, 2014
    Final preparations are taking place for the M25 to become England’s first smart motorway, improving journeys and boosting the economy. Two sections of the motorway opening this month and next are between junctions 23 and 25 in Hertfordshire and between junctions 5 and 6/7 on the Kent/Surrey border. For the first time on a motorway scheme in England the hard shoulder will be used as a permanent traffic lane, with enhanced technology to manage traffic flow to improve the reliability of journey times.