Skip to main content

Automakers, US DOT agree on cybersecurity

The US Transportation Department and 17 automakers have reached agreement on efforts to enhance safety, including sharing information to thwart cyber-attacks on their increasingly wired vehicles, says Bloomberg. Companies including General Motors, Ford and Toyota also agreed to reform the way they report fatalities, injuries and warranty claims to the government. The companies are to meet regularly to exchange information and identify emerging safety issues. “Today DOT and the automakers represented h
January 19, 2016 Read time: 2 mins
The US Transportation Department and 17 automakers have reached agreement on efforts to enhance safety, including sharing information to thwart cyber-attacks on their increasingly wired vehicles, says Bloomberg.

Companies including 948 General Motors, 278 Ford and 1686 Toyota also agreed to reform the way they report fatalities, injuries and warranty claims to the government. The companies are to meet regularly to exchange information and identify emerging safety issues.

“Today DOT and the automakers represented here are taking a strong stance in favour of a new approach, an approach that leans heavily on being proactive and less heavily on being reactive,” US Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx in Detroit Friday at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Company executives, including General Motors chief executive officer Mary Barra and 1674 Fiat Chrysler Automobiles chief executive officer Sergio Marchionne had met with Foxx in Washington in December. The transportation secretary asked the companies to come up with voluntary measures they could agree to outside the traditional regulatory framework.

The companies and regulators have agreed to suggest best practices on cybersecurity, share lessons learned and find ways to engage researchers to identify emerging threats. They will work with the information sharing and analysis centre established by the auto industry last year.

For more information on companies in this article

Related Content

  • GHSA laments ‘staggering’ trend in US pedestrian deaths
    March 14, 2025
    Drivers killed 3,304 pedestrians in the first half of 2024
  • More than 20 million connected cars with built-in software-based security by 2020
    February 14, 2014
    The findings of ABI Research’s Automotive Safety & Autonomous Driving and Cybersecurity Research Services indicate that while traditional safety telematics services such as eCall, bCall, stolen vehicle tracking, and diagnostics aimed at the physical protection of vehicles, drivers and passengers are becoming main stream, awareness is growing about the threat of cyber-attacks and their impact on the physical integrity of persons, especially with vehicle-to-vehicle communication and autonomous vehicles. This
  • ‘Just 6%’ of transport companies can tackle cyberattacks, says Irdeto
    June 21, 2019
    Transport companies are under concerted attack from hackers, according to security specialist Irdeto – and most don’t know how to respond. New research from the group says that 77% of organisations in transport and automotive have experienced an Internet of Things (IoT)-focused cyberattack in the past year – but only 6% “have what they need to combat cyberattacks”. The survey of 225 companies in China, Germany, Japan, UK and US found that the incursions had an impact on 91% of those which experience
  • US transportation secretary announces loan for Atlanta NW corridor project
    November 26, 2013
    US transportation secretary Anthony Foxx has announced a Transportation Infrastructure Finance Innovation Act (TIFIA) loan for US$275 million to build new reversible lanes along I-75 and I-575. The 29.7-mile-long project will relieve congestion along the heavily trafficked corridor during morning and evening peak periods. The loan will go toward the US$833.7 million total cost of the project. The corridor has long been recognised as one of the Atlanta region’s most congested travel corridors with over 4